• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Which 120/240 Double Pole GFCI Circuit Breakers Will Work on a 208/120 System?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
We've had some issues over the past few years with GFCI and AFC/GFCI combo breakers being installed for condo remodels in buildings that have a 208y/120 system. What we found was that the 120/240 rated OCPD (double pole GFCI) will not work in the 208y system. Most often, the OCPD won't even trip with the self-test button. I am starting to see spec sheets from Schneider, for example, that now clearly list a 208y as an option for their double pole breakers.

This was a big issue for a while. Does anyone have any more recent experience with this?

Specifically, during a condo remodel, the existing dishwasher/disposal circuit was originally run in conduit using a MWBC so we highly recommend they pull another neutral to eliminate this problem when they have to add an AFCI/GFCI combo. Neither will trip and I am told it is because of the 208 voltage. I think we need some more light shed on this.

Seems like for remodels that are reusing the existing dishwasher/disposal receptacle and circuit, there is no need to provide GFCI/AFCI protection, as that circuit is not being touched. Whereas remodels are that are moving the dishwasher/disposal receptacle, it shouldn't be a problem to rewire the branch circuit as required to provide the necessary GFCI/AFCI protection.

As to your questions, there are multiple ways to provide AFCI + GFCI protection, a dual function double pole breaker is not the only option. How does your jurisdiction interpret "readily accessible" as regards receptacles within a sink base cabinet? Possibilities are that they are all readily accessible; they are readily accessible only when located near the front of the cabinet where it is impossible to store items in front of them; or they are never readily accessible (which interpretation I disagree with). In the first two cases, GFCI protection can be provided at the receptacle, although for an MWBC, that would require two different GFCI receptacles, rather than a split-wired duplex (or for the second case, it could be done with two separate blank face GFCIs at the front of the cabinet and a single split-wired duplex at the back).

As to AFCI protection, several of the current brands no longer using any ground fault sensing in their AFCIs, so an MWBC can be supplied with two single poles AFCIs with a handle-tie.

I agree that a comprehensive list of the current breaker manufacturers, with which of their AFCI products will work as two single poles on an MWBC, and which of their AFCI and/or GFCI double pole breakers will work on 208Y/120, would be very helpful.

Cheers, Wayne