• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Which Fitting-Connection is Code Compliant?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
You have the flat washer and the famous Meyers hub used with PVC. Which one would be a compliant installation (assuming the connector was fully seated in the Meyers hub.
56994367390__B46B79A9-87DE-4105-A5BA-57656BC838A9.JPG IMG_2575.JPG

The one on the right is compliant. That’s a sealing ring.
The one one the left is a violation of 110.3(B). Meyers hubs are only listed for use with RMC and IMC.

What do I win?

The one on the right is compliant. That’s a sealing ring.
The one one the left is a violation of 110.3(B). Meyers hubs are only listed for use with RMC and IMC.

What do I win?

About time you put your 2 cents in. You have officially won an "ataboy" from Joe. Go see him after work. Congrats.

BTW, it's a Myers hub, not Meyers hub. Because of my surname it's something I notice. :D

Back to the topic.

It seems to me that a metal flat washer in contact with the metal can is not water tight.

I can see the rubber on top.....why don’t I see the rubber underneath the washer? Sorry but it doesn’t resemble a sealing ring.

This really looks like a a generic flat washer with a rubber washer on top.... it’s Jeff’s picture so I’ll take his word for it but I’ve not seen one like this.

This is a picture that I took three days ago. The worker insisted that the fitting is raintight. I had him back off the lock ring and sure enough there's a gasket. It fits into the knockout perfectly and accomplished nothing. Had it been visible after installation it would have still not worked.

This is a sealing ring:

This is the rubber washer similar to the one in my picture:

I guess I'm just not convinced that Jeff's picture is a sealing ring.

Last edited:
That ring came from my shop when Jeff was working with us.
I can assure you it’s a listed sealing ring with rubber on both sides.
Just a different manufacturer than the one in your pic.

That ring came from my shop when Jeff was working with us.
I can assure you it’s a listed sealing ring with rubber on both sides.
Just a different manufacturer than the one in your pic.
Well then, you I can trust.....but hold on.....Jeff called it a flat washer and you knew it was a sealing ring that doesn't look like a sealing ring....that's insider information. o_O

Well alrighty then, it's game on Jeff ;)

Last edited:
Stay on em, ICE their in cahoots with each other!

I had a 50/50 chance and I picked the wrong one!

Well then, you I can trust.....but hold on.....Jeff called it a flat washer and you knew it was a sealing ring that doesn't look like a sealing ring....that's insider information. o_O
Well alrighty then, it's game on Jeff ;)

This is the washer:
raco-conduit-fittings-2455-64_1000.jpg

Reactions: ICE
Isn't this what was used in your photo?

1211_1200.jpg
That is a possibility. It makes better sense than a lock ring and a gasket. Is this yellow gasket meant to fit inside the KO hole and the metal is meant to bite in and act as a lock ring? When I first saw it I thought that it will not repel water. I could see a gap between the minute bit of rubber that I could see and the can so I assumed that it was no good. If I was wrong, I'm happy to give them a call and take back the correction. I'll just tell them that you started it.

Ya ...no...there was a gap

Last edited:
That is incorrect. I'll look for another picture.

I clicked on your picture and zoomed in. On the pic it looks like the sealing locknut and a sealing ring. If there was a gap all they needed to do was to tighten it. BTW, the locking nut is sometimes just on the inside. It only needs to be sealed from one side.

On another note, I will repeat, it does not appear as though the penetration is above the level of live parts.