• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Whiners

"They treat corrections like an attack on their character."

Yup, but all too many of them use correction notices as the path to find out what the most current code changes are.

"When did that go into the code?"

ICE said:
It's the electricians. I write plenty of corrections for each trade but the electricians are the most vocal. They treat corrections like an attack on their character.
That's because they are the best, and have the hardest job in the whole wide world. Just ask them.

The only thing better in the world than an electrician is a commercial electrician. So they are never wrong. I don't just mean on electricity, but life in general. I met one one that knew exactly how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Brent

Well Brent, your interaction with electricians is different than mine. They first approach me as though I have all of the answers.

Carpenters, plumbers and tin knockers will see the light. Electricians will do their best to extinguish the light.

Electricians are entitled to a feeling of superiority. The electrical trade is more of everything important than are the other trades. A minor mistake can have drastic consequences. The problem is that many of them had that feeling of superiority long before they became electricians.

They show up at my office with a correction notice wanting an explanation. I show them the code. Then they ask for a pass on a correction. I often hear, "We'll do that from now on". That tends to pi$$ me off.

They take the high road and slog along on all fours.

Of course there are exceptions. Of the hundreds that I've met, there has been a few that I would hire.

Last edited by a moderator:
ICE said:
Of the hundreds that I've met, there has been a few that I would hire.
You mean to work at your house? Heck, I'll do it. I get $85 hr.

$150 hr if you watch

$300 hr if you try to help

ICE said:
Well Brent, your interaction with electricians is different than mine. They first approach me as though I have all of the answers. Carpenters, plumbers and tin knockers will see the light. Electricians will do their best to extinguish the light.

Electricians are entitled to a feeling of superiority. The electrical trade is more of everything important than are the other trades. A minor mistake can have drastic consequences. The problem is that many of them had that feeling of superiority long before they became electricians.

They show up at my office with a correction notice wanting an explanation. I show them the code. Then they ask for a pass on a correction. I often hear, "We'll do that from now on". That tends to pi$$ me off.

They take the high road and slog along on all fours.

Of course there are exceptions. Of the hundreds that I've met, there has been a few that I would hire.
Now we have the question of the chicken and the egg; Did the electrician come first, or the Primadonna?

As for you having all the answers; They have to somehow show deference and respect to you, without not being a primadonna. That a tough row to hoe, so they throw you a bone and let you into the club. For that bone you are to capitulate, understand they are asking rhetorical questions, and go on your way.

But hey...I keed I keed!

I have met one super-electrician in my life. He was, unbelievably, from France, with the heavy accent. His background was industrial manufacturing installations, and you guys would LOVE to see his work. He just had a deep understanding as well as being a perfectionist. He works in San Francisco, and his multi-panels were works of art. Inspectors loved him.

Which brings us to the best-most-amazing-creatures-on-earth, the Union Electrician San Francisco Inspector. At work at 8 a.m, on a Harley across the Golden Gate by 3 in the afternoon. An absolute wonder of genetics and artists of the Early Retirement.

Brent.

Can we get a TCO?, "They need to open tomorrow!"

"What's this?, 21 items!", "what's your last inspection time?

"I got to have a #@&% address installed!

"What do you mean the light has to work in the bathroom before they can open, will give them a flashlight!"

pc1

Got a new one...Engineer in my office at 5PM last Friday with plans for underground plumbing and roof drains for a pretty good sized commercial project....Plumber calls Tuesday at 10AM to see if he can schedule an inspection....I told him I did have the plans for 8 working hours, so sure why not.....

Today's....Electrician...."If I knew I couldn't use NM above a suspended ceiling I wouldn't have done it...." So I told him where to buy a code book.....

And today...."Could you photocopy me IECC Sec. 505 so I can bring it to my electrical engineer so he knows what we need to do on this multimillion dollar project? We want to put conduit in the ground tomorrow....."