• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Who Are You, Who Am I?

It's really interesting to hear about everyone's background...thanks for posting. I grew up in VT, my mother was a contractor so I worked for her sometimes doing drafting or pounding nails. I went to college for architecture but decided at graduation that I didn't want to be an architect. It was too subjective and I like right/wrong, black/white. I ended up working for a door & hardware company and the rest is history. I left VT for MA almost 20 years ago. I have worked as a hardware consultant for 25 years, and for Ingersoll Rand for 17 years. I hang around here hoping to learn something from you all, and you always come through!

It's great to see all of these stories on how we all came into this industry. I've always had an interest in how things are built; I had an Erector set in grade school if anyone remembers those. I ended up getting a degree in construction science and during my college years I had a professor who was a building official. He came to class and would talk about code stuff and I loved it. So, my first job out of college was as an inspector. I took some time off when my son was born then got back in the field getting my foot in the door again as a permit technician. Within a few months I was back to being an inspector, then a few years later did plan review, then a few years later became a building official. Now I’m in the private sector after nearly 20 years in the public sector.

Francis Vineyard said:
gbhammer congrats! Still waiting on our first, youngest recently married :) . . . I call my shots in cricket, and enjoy a quick game of 301.
:cheers Fellow darter. You may know a few people that I have had the pleasure to play against in Vegas they are from VA. Meeks, Cross, Youngblood all great shots.

Well being the young guy with all you old farts (just joking) I really didn't want to go into the family busness of painting and really hated school so I thought I was smarter then my dad and went to work as a labor on a construction site. Did that for about 6 months really disliked that as well. I got into the Plumbing trade when I was 20 went to school for 4 years and became a plumber at the age of 24. I got the chance to become the City's plumbing inspector at 30 been with the City of 8 years. Love this area big into hunting and four-wheeler riding just pretty much lovee the out doors

" I call my shots in cricket, and enjoy a quick game of 301."

Probably not on the level of you guys, played league darts for several years. (metal tips, manual scoring) Never went to Vegas to play. But, heck yeah you call shots in cricket, and 301 is always double in-double out. Just how I roll.

Moscow said:
Well being the young guy with all you old farts (just joking)
Be careful there buddy! :) There was a snotty nosed young punk that was popping stuff off about us old farts last night on Top Shot! He didn't even make it through the team selection!!!

fatboy said:
" I call my shots in cricket, and enjoy a quick game of 301."Probably not on the level of you guys, played league darts for several years. (metal tips, manual scoring) Never went to Vegas to play. But, heck yeah you call shots in cricket, and 301 is always double in-double out. Just how I roll.

Hey Fatboy I know a few players from the denver (well closer to loveland) area. I just don't play steel tip anymore no money in it, but I do wish you had to call you're dart in soft tip.

I'm closer to Loveland than Denver. Back in the day, 25 years ago, I might have known them. We would go to Loveland/Ft. Collins for tournaments every now and then.

I could just never get into the soft tip/automated game, just didn't seem right.

How do you deal with the unwritten rule that if your dart bounces off a wire, and you catch it, and it draws blood, you get to re-throw the dart? :p

Not only am I an internet curmudgeon, but I also play one on a soccer field (since 2010).

Last night, I kicked off High School season with two games.

Unfortunately, it wasn't my turn with the whistle, so I didn't get to issue any cards.

I think I'll start referring to them as "Red Tags."

fatboy said:
I'm closer to Loveland than Denver. Back in the day, 25 years ago, I might have known them. We would go to Loveland/Ft. Collins for tournaments every now and then.I could just never get into the soft tip/automated game, just didn't seem right.

How do you deal with the unwritten rule that if your dart bounces off a wire, and you catch it, and it draws blood, you get to re-throw the dart? :p
Had to take my shoe off a couple of times to prove that blood was drawn when my foot caught the dart. 25 years ago I was skiing in loveland. at least once a month during the season. It was just so easy to get there from Arvada.

TheCommish

Charlton Massachusetts, a 44 square mile community, 14,000 residents predominantly resident single family units and small commercial with a an occasional large commercial project (school, manufacturing, warehouse).

We have no municipal water to speak of so any project requiring fire sprinkler has to supply their own water and pumps. Challenged designers, contractors and owner builders, sometime the wild west of compliance.

My bio, born very young and small, in the dark and defineatly not last night, elementary school high school, 4 years Air Force, 7 years conference caretaker and facilities maintenance, 8 years as Building Commissioner fulltime, ICC CBO, state certified Building Commissioner/Building Inspector. Previously partner in a custom home building firm also doing remolding, very hands on. 30 years as call firefighter, past 16 years as Assistant Chief now a combination department. Associates and Bachelor’s degrees in Fire Science, 6 National Fire Academy residence classes, concentration in building systems, fire protection and building evaluation, minor in financial management and group behavior.

My office, me, doing plan review, counter technician, zoning enforcement, all field inspections. Full time administrative support, before the boom busted I had a part time local inspector, we have a part time wiring inspector and part time gas and plumbing inspector.

I graduated the University of Maryland in 1972 with a BS in Education. Got a job in Prince George's County Maryland as an inspector in 1973, no real pertinent experience. Moved a little west to Frederick County Virginia as an inspector, soon became the building official. Quit that gig when I realized that I was the only member of my team and really moved west, to Oregon. Contracted in Oregon for 30 + good years. Economy tanked and I took a job with an international architectural manufacturer. Recently we've moved into installed sales. I currently qualify 30+ licenses and manage 190 more registrations. Coming full circle, I've actualized my education degree as an instructor for the American Architectural Manufacture's Association's Installation Masters program. Additionally, I'm a motorcycle safety instructor for the State of Oregon.

Bill

I'm a man with pencil who draws (although I use a mouse more than a pencil now). I was raised in New Jersey, studied architecture at University of Virginia and architectural engineering at University of Texas, where I graduated in 1970. I settled in Virginia and have lived in Virginia since. I worked for a few architects, then started my own firm in 1981. That lasted until 1994, when the recession from the S&L bust caught up with me. It was any port in a storm, so I became a bureaucrat and moved to Richmond. I'm presently in construction (mis)management with the Virginia Community College System. A lot of my work is shuffling papers to & from other agencies until the stack is as tall as the proposed building and they let us start construction. 4 of the 6 colleges I manage projects for are in the mountains of southwest Va. The best parts of my job are technical assistance in solving building problems and getting out to visit the colleges every month. The people are friendly, the scenery is beautiful, but they can keep their winter weather! I'm married, with 2 grown children, and an infant grandson.

Paul Sweet said:
A lot of my work is shuffling papers to & from other agencies until the stack is as tall as the proposed building and they let us start construction.
I knew you guys did that! At last there is proof.

I'm a 51 yo licensed electrician, still twistin tools 6 days a week although my main responsibility is supervision/project management. Stumbled into this trade about 25 yrs ago when I was bored. I'm very familiar with the NEC so I'm here learning the ICC stuff. Our Florida Building Code is an ICC doc.

My hobbies are reading and gardening.

DSCN0325-1.jpg

That was a transformer vault for FP&L that you posted and I photoshopped this way back when. I forgot I still had it.

gbhammer said:
:cheers Fellow darter. You may know a few people that I have had the pleasure to play against in Vegas they are from VA. Meeks, Cross, Youngblood all great shots.
Haven't played tournament players since the place was burned down a few years ago and moved south to Charlottesville.

Sure is nice seeing the variety of backgrounds and things in common and not so common, would like to see this thread continue on self-support.

A contractor here was a Park Ranger from D.C. taking classes for a degree in Forestry doing remodeling during the summer breaks; ended up doing it full time career. Another one used to be an Ocean Biologist; he used a technical term but forgive me; I can't remember Latin.

Meet a lot of interesting people in this business.

Francis

Last edited by a moderator:
Born, raised and still live in a south suburb of Chicago...right on the line, and a Cubs fan since '63. From the age of 2 all I ever wanted to be was a firefighter. Dad was a shoe salesman, mom raised my brother and I. Grandpa was an engineer for the B&O railroad for 52 years. Graduated high school in 74. Since I was too short to be a fireman and wore glasses, they wouldn't let me test for full time, so I thought about the railroad but wound up passing the union carpenter apprenticeship test in 75. The FD accepted my application for volunteer and I achieved my dream in '78. I was good enough to be a volunteer but not for full-time. Washburne Trade School...graduated to journeyman in 79...big housing crash, got laid off a month before my wedding.

Went to work as a sheet metal fabricator/welder building food and pharmaceutical equipment for 6 years...built million-dollar stainless fluid-bed dryers for making Nutrasweet. Very cool. Fellow fireman enticed me to go back pounding nails in '87, did really good until '90 when another housing crash decimated the company. Made lieutenant in '89. Remodeled on the north shore until the chief called in '92 to ask if I was interested in fire inspection full-time. Said hell yeah. Made captain and training officer.

All this time I was taking state fire marshal classes...instructor, haz mat, etc. Passed 240-hour fire prevention officer test. Made assistant chief. Defected to neighboring dept to be chief and run the bldg dept. Due to politics, had to leave, went to northwest burbs as plans examiner, made asst bldg commish...doing that since 2000. I love my job. Never stopped learning.

Married twice, 2 daughters, 1 stepdaughter. Going to see mom in CO in June with my 2 daughters!

Glad to be part of this board.

TJacobs said:
Born, raised and still live in a south suburb of Chicago...right on the line, and a Cubs fan since '63. From the age of 2 all I ever wanted to be was a firefighter. Dad was a shoe salesman, mom raised my brother and I. Grandpa was an engineer for the B&O railroad for 52 years. Graduated high school in 74. Since I was too short to be a fireman and wore glasses, they wouldn't let me test for full time, so I thought about the railroad but wound up passing the union carpenter apprenticeship test in 75. The FD accepted my application for volunteer and I achieved my dream in '78. I was good enough to be a volunteer but not for full-time. Washburne Trade School...graduated to journeyman in 79...big housing crash, got laid off a month before my wedding.Went to work as a sheet metal fabricator/welder building food and pharmaceutical equipment for 6 years...built million-dollar stainless fluid-bed dryers for making Nutrasweet. Very cool. Fellow fireman enticed me to go back pounding nails in '87, did really good until '90 when another housing crash decimated the company. Made lieutenant in '89. Remodeled on the north shore until the chief called in '92 to ask if I was interested in fire inspection full-time. Said hell yeah. Made captain and training officer.

All this time I was taking state fire marshal classes...instructor, haz mat, etc. Passed 240-hour fire prevention officer test. Made assistant chief. Defected to neighboring dept to be chief and run the bldg dept. Due to politics, had to leave, went to northwest burbs as plans examiner, made asst bldg commish...doing that since 2000. I love my job. Never stopped learning.

Married twice, 2 daughters, 1 stepdaughter. Going to see mom in CO in June with my 2 daughters!

Glad to be part of this board.
Hey, grew up in Hammond and my Granpa worked for B+O too, out of Blue Island

It's great getting to learn more about everyone on here. As for myself I'm a transplanted 6th generation native Floridian that's made a home in Massachusetts, converting yankees one at a time. My dad was a builder so I grew up swinging a hammer, which made me decide to attend the University of Florida for Civil Engineering. I worked in civil engineering for around 20 years, and spent 15 years as a firefighter, and fire inspector in Florida. Moved to Massachusetts back in 1997. In 2005 I left the local engineers to follow my passion and dream to design homes. I've been involved in design and construction for over thirty-five years. I can't tell you what a pleasure it is to do something you love for a living, wish I had done this years ago. And I believe it doing it right, hence my signature tag.

We're in our second edition of the ICC codes (2009 IBC, IRC) in Massachusetts. We have a uniform state building code, and the only thing that locals can modify is the energy compliance. The Massachusetts Stretch Energy Code was a dry run for the 2012 IECC (my understanding). I pretty much for the first year and a-half sat back and watched the postings on the forum, to kind of get a feel. I've learned a lot on here, and now hope to be able to provide some helpful comments, mixed with a little humor. Sarcasm is another one of the fine services I provide.

I'm married with two grown kids, and two grown step-kids and a house full of dogs, love anything Florida Gators and New England sports teams (I still root for the Dolphins, just not much to root about).

So what about you? Inquiring minds want to know .... thanks for having me as a part of the forum.