• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Who determines "self-preservation"?

The code does not cover every contingency.
Never has, never will.
Not intended to.
That's where the debate comes in on Knowledge vs Wisdom
Knowledge
is about facts and ideas that we acquire through study, research, investigation, observation, or experience. Wisdom is the ability to discern and judge which aspects of that knowledge are true, right, lasting, and applicable.

Nice comment MH, gets into the realm of Best Practice.

Boss got the call from the lawyer today. They (plastic surgeon) now want to say they don't sedate people. If boss wants to accept a revised letter, that contradicts the first letter, it is on him.

The general consensus is that the threshold for a patient who is "incapable of self preservation" is the patient that cannot breath without assistance.

The general consensus is that the threshold for a patient who is "incapable of self preservation" is the patient that cannot breath without assistance.

a person can be sedated, but still breath on their own, but not be able to move

The issue here is I have a DP and owner/operator who initially used words like sedated, 30-minute recovery and who use terms like under the direct care of while sedated, that after I said they sounded like they were incapable of self-preservation are disputing the finding. Out of my hands now, bosses and lawyers can hash it out. I made my observation, erred on the side of caution.

The Joint Commission/NFPA® Life Safety Book for Health Care Organizations
http://www.jcrinc.com/assets/1/14/LSG13_Sample_Pages.pdf
“Incapable of self-preservation” means that the individual would not be able to get out of a building by him- or herself in case of fire.

NOT just "...cannot breath without assistance....?

Yes, of course 'NOT'. Should of clarified the consensus is general for patients undergoing 'in office' procedure sedated by anesthesiologist . The same anesthesiologist who in a moment can un-sedate the individual to wide awake state to get out of the building. Anesthesiologist can also 'amp up' the said individual enough to run out of the building...then around the block a few times.

This type sedation is typical for plastic, colorectal, etc surgeons with procedure rooms in their offices, just not the prettiest ambulatory self preservation everyone envisions.

This is a situation where the criteria and terminology in the code should be established by the medical experts.

Yes, of course 'NOT'. Should of clarified the consensus is general for patients undergoing 'in office' procedure sedated by anesthesiologist . The same anesthesiologist who in a moment can un-sedate the individual to wide awake state to get out of the building. Anesthesiologist can also 'amp up' the said individual enough to run out of the building...then around the block a few times.

This type sedation is typical for plastic, colorectal, etc surgeons with procedure rooms in their offices, just not the prettiest ambulatory self preservation everyone envisions.
That sure sounds like that person is incapable of self-preservation and needs assistance to me.

This is a situation where the criteria and terminology in the code should be established by the medical experts.
I disagree and believe the definition is clear enough for the building code application and purposes. A simpler solution might be to require ambulatory care facilities to provide a list and description of the medical treatments provided similar to a fire suppression systems requirement for a list of commodities within a building so a proper design can be done. Then if the TV cameras ever show up at your office after an event asking how come you allowed this you will have a documented answer.
We need to be diligent and thorough when doing plan reviews, however we can't just call them liars when we believe we are being mislead down a certain path because an owner/designer wants follow their vision or path.

[BG] INCAPABLE OF SELF-PRESERVATION. Persons who, because of age, physical limitations, mental limitations, chemical dependency or medical treatment, cannot respond as an individual to an emergency situation.

as someone who recently had his wisdom teeth removed and was under some form of mild sedation during the procedure, there is no way in hell I was capable of self preservation. Even after I was awake and walking under my own power I had no clue what was going on or where I was.

You should ask the doctor if he requires his patients under going a procedure to have someone there with them to drive them home. That will tell you a lot.

as someone who recently had his wisdom teeth removed and was under some form of mild sedation during the procedure, there is no way in hell I was capable of self preservation. Even after I was awake and walking under my own power I had no clue what was going on or where I was.

You should ask the doctor if he requires his patients under going a procedure to have someone there with them to drive them home. That will tell you a lot.

ALWAYS SEEMS THEY MAKE THEM GO OUT THE BACK SO OTHER PATIENTS DON'T SEE THEM ALL DRUGGED UP!!

Good discussion, IN CA clinics are not required to be reviewed by OSHPD (local BD can do so), an arch can submit plans but they better know what they are doing.