• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Who Does Pressure Test Inspection on Fire Sprinklers?

Alias

Building Department? Fire Marshal? 3rd Party?

Reason for the question is there has never been a new fire sprinkler/alarm system installed in any building here during my tenure. We currently have no Fire Marshal and a new one won't be hired prior to an upcoming inspection.

I've done a little 'gofer' work as a third party with a certified inspector. Who certifies the inspector - ICC, NFPA, or ?

How would you check an inspector's qualifications? Reason for questions is I have heard a name floated for the inspection and I would like to check references.

Sue, where the 'good ol' boys' are alive, well, and in control (politically) :wstupid

more than likley depends on the state

and if not the state, if the city allows third party, hope they have some criteria

if you, then ask for some documentation that they know what they are doing, such as education, training, certs, experience

not sure if that answers the question

did anyone review the plans?? and if so Who??

: - :

Sue,

Here, we use 3rd party companies to actually perform the

test, and our FCO [ Fire Code Official ] to witness the test.

In conjunction with test itself, we also require documentation

of the test, at each visit [ the test might not pass the 1st try ].

Any 3rd party contractor [ here ] is required to go thru this

state' Contractors Board for certification, not licensing!

Currently, any fire sprinkler testing contractor is not required

to be licensed in this state! :beatdhrs

north star said:
: - :Sue,

Here, we use 3rd party companies to actually perform the

test, and our FCO [ Fire Code Official ] to witness the test.

In conjunction with test itself, we also require documentation

of the test, at each visit [ the test might not pass the 1st try ].

Any 3rd party contractor [ here ] is required to go thru this

state' Contractors Board for certification, not licensing!

Currently, any fire sprinkler testing contractor is not required

to be licensed in this state! :beatdhrs

who does the plan review

We currently have no Fire Marshal and a new one won't be hired prior to an upcoming inspection.
Any body who can read a pressure guage can verify the PSI is a minimum 200 and look at it again in 2 hours unless you want someone to stand there and watch the guage for the duration of the test.

Sprinklers are in the building code so step up and do it

Do you mean a hydro inspection at rough? Around here (SOCAL) the contractor pumps it up to 200 psi for two hours and we (the fire dept.) witness it (for 13 and 13R). For residential (13D only, no FDC), the building inspectors witness the test at regular building static pressure

north star said:
+ : +For the right price, I can tell you! :D Do you need my mailing

address to send the bank certified check to?

+ : +
Now how do you spell that name?? CASH?

mtlogcabin said:
Any body who can read a pressure guage can verify the PSI is a minimum 200 and look at it again in 2 hours unless you want someone to stand there and watch the guage for the duration of the test.Sprinklers are in the building code so step up and do it
If I'm still employed, I plan to be there.

Sue

beach said:
Do you mean a hydro inspection at rough? Around here (SOCAL) the contractor pumps it up to 200 psi for two hours and we (the fire dept.) witness it (for 13 and 13R). For residential (13D only, no FDC), the building inspectors witness the test at regular building static pressure
I think that that is what is planned. They had to install the water meter for the test. It's commercial, the infamous USFS project. :mrgreen:

Sue

NFPA 25-2011 6.3.2. No mention of qualification of tester. 200 PSI for 2 hours or 150 PSI requires test at static pressure + 50 PSI. To be done every 5 years, on manual standpipe and semi-automatic dry standpipe, includes FDC. Automatic dry systems do not require hydrostatic testing. Wet system do not required ht.

Are state requires the sprinkler company to be licensed

Sorry yes we witness the test done by the fire sprinkler company

But to me that is a minute part of the acceptance of the system

First would be plan review, was it designed correctly

Then inspection of the entire system, was it installed correctly

Both us and the FM......Most of our FM's have been doing it longer than I, so it is nice to be able to have some overlap, they bring more (fire) experience, I bring a different perspective, it seems to work well....

cda said:
Who does the plan review

cda said:
Are state requires the sprinkler company to be licensedSorry yes we witness the test done by the fire sprinkler company

But to me that is a minute part of the acceptance of the system

First would be plan review, was it designed correctly

Then inspection of the entire system, was it installed correctly
Thanks cda. They have changed the layout, I hope they have the change orders. As this is a metal building, the upright girders are in the way of the sprinkler system hence the need for changes. Same for some of the electric lighting.

Sue