• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

who is looking at the 2012

NYS currently uses modified versions based on the 2006 I-Codes. We are working on updates now and will likely take the big leap this time and base on the most current I-codes. Our committees are just getting started now.

We are on the 2009 I-codes. I'm working on forming an Advisory Board made up of builders and trades to adopt a new code which might as well be the 2012. We will amend it to meet our local priorities.

I was on the 2009, have adopted the 2012's with an effective date of 1/1/13. Sans the Energy Code, will bring that forward separately once I can wrap my mind around the massive changes.......friggen crazy.

fatboy said:
I was on the 2009, have adopted the 2012's with an effective date of 1/1/13. Sans the Energy Code, will bring that forward separately once I can wrap my mind around the massive changes.......friggen crazy.
I don't know about friggin crazy, but I am doing the same here. On track to adopt the 2012 on 1/1/13 unless we get an uproar.still have the public hearings yet to go.

Was on '06. Pitched the '12 to the Board and they said no due to the significant changes.

Went back to the Board with the '09 which they approved subject to omitting the RFS requirement (delete R313)

State has mandated the '09 IECC since 2010

mj

There is talk but nothing concrete yet. State will be going to 2012 IECC in January 2013.

Rupert has a question, a........................wh

Who decides when and what code to update too in your jurisdiction?

pc1

In Massachusetts it is the Board of Building Regulations and Standards. We have an uniform code and towns/cities are not allowed to modify the code, with the exception of the 2009 IECC, which they can modify to the Stretch Energy Code (proposed by the state) which has greater requirements.

Sitting in an ICC seminar about significant changes between 06, 09, 12 IBC as I type this (lunch break). There are people in here as far back as 03 and some already on 12. Currently on 06 but moving to jurisdiction on 09. Each AHJ is allowed to adopt any edition within 7 years of most recently published.

Does the ISO, fire district, city council or surrounding city or county have any influence on you to upgrade to a new code?

I make the recommendation based on a previous precedent of adopting every other Code series. ISO has a small impact on the recommendation, and the Fire District always brings in the RFS. The Board is free to do what they wish outside of the State Plumbing Code and State mandated Energy Code (currently '09 IECC)

The ISO rating (FWIW) weights the adoption of the most current code heavily, picked up 3-4 point over what we were before, only adopting every other cod cycle.

fatboy, rides Harley's, would'nt get caught riding, one of those cod cycles! ;)

pc1

The state adopts all codes and then we have 90 days to adopt. The state is looking at the 2012 and expects to have them adopted at the beginning of 2013

Currently we are enforcing the 2009. There were more changes between the 2006 and 2009 compared to those between 2009 and 2012.

Our code review committee consists of a dozen engineers and architects and general contractors.

They will likely complete their review of the 2012 IRC and 2012 IBC next week and then pass on their recommendations to City Council for final approval. We are currently enforcing the 2009 IECC which is consistent with our state regulation. But there is a proposal to adopt both the 2012 IECC (energy code) and 2012 IgCC (green code). Those two standards will likely get shot down without adequate time and personnel to fully analyze the cost impact related to more stringent standards, additional training of inspectors, and time required to enforce a completely new regulation.