• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Who owns the frontage land to the street on a zero-lot home?

alu20081

Dear all,
I am considering the purchase of a zero-lot home that is off of a major street. This is new construction where they have built 3 zero-lot homes demolishing older homes. There is no HOA. The home builder has not provided a survey (yet). Probably will be provided after an offer is made. I am trying to do my due diligence before putting in an offer.

I would like to understand who owns the frontage land (i.e. the front yard or land from the front of the property to the street). Is it the homeowner or the city that owns this land? How can I confirm this officially before putting an offer on the home? I have contacted the city but have not received a response yet.

Also, can the homeowner build a fence to enclose the front yard for privacy?

Any info, references, or pointers would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Why do you care who owns the last 10 ft? It’s you or the city, but you have to cut the grass anyway. Regardless of the HOA, the city controls building rules, and most do not allow fences in front of the building.

Here in California, your property line is generally at the back side of the sidewalk and any landscaping between that backside and the street is in the public street right-of-way, however it is YOUR responsibility as the homeowner to maintain it.

All deeds need to be filed with a government entity. Check there for a definition of the property and any easements. Check with who pays the property taxes.

What the surveyor does is to physically locate the corners of the property based on the deed.

Dear all,
I am considering the purchase of a zero-lot home that is off of a major street. This is new construction where they have built 3 zero-lot homes demolishing older homes. There is no HOA. The home builder has not provided a survey (yet). Probably will be provided after an offer is made. I am trying to do my due diligence before putting in an offer.

I would like to understand who owns the frontage land (i.e. the front yard or land from the front of the property to the street). Is it the homeowner or the city that owns this land? How can I confirm this officially before putting an offer on the home? I have contacted the city but have not received a response yet.

Also, can the homeowner build a fence to enclose the front yard for privacy?

Any info, references, or pointers would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
If you are anything like Philadelphia (re property and zoning laws / rules ) then your Deed will define where your property is located along with dimensions. At the end of the day, in the City you will have a sidewalk that is for Public Use. then there will be a "Property Line that defines the part of the parcell you can build on, subject to Zoning Rules that may, for instance say you have a 6 ft front yard and then your building can begin 6ft from the sidewalk.

In your Zero lot reference, I suspect you have a Row Home that begins at the sidewalk, has shared sidewalls (party walls) and have arear yard as well. Your front steps may and are probably on the Public Sidewalk.

As part of the Building Permit, your Owner summited Plans with a Site Plan that made all this clear. The contractor would probably have hired a Surveyor to "stake" or pin the centerline of the property so the contractor knows exactly where to build. The Building Inspector will need to verify that the building meets the approved Plans and hence that should assure you that you are getting what you paid for.

I doubt that the simple rules we use can differ that much from CA, even with your Seismic considerations ( just kidding)