• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Who owns the sewer line?

Where I was formerly employed, to the meter. The city didn't want anyone cutting into the streets. City did the meter set and cut the street. Customer was charged for the city's cost of time & materials.

Sue

If the downspouts run into the sewer line then during heavy rains the sewer system will be over loaded resulting in untreated water being released thus making the City in violation of the pollution laws.

In my jurisdiction......storm water does not enter the sanitary sewer system....ever.........separate systems........

Gutters and leaders could redirect the storm water back onto the subject parcel.
Most municipal systems found that being inundated with clean storm water was causing unnecessary expense for sewer districts, requiring separate discharge of storm water to other than the sewer district lines.
Economics.

They are asking me if my rain gutters are connected to the sewer. I told them I don't know. The sewer pipe goes into the basement floor and the rain gutters go into pipes in the ground. That's all I told them. Never heard anything back.