• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Who pays for your Certs and CEU

Bender

As the title says who pays for your Cert testing and CEUs. Does your job reimburse you for just passes Certs? does your job sent you to classes for Certs or CEUs. Do you pay for them out of your pocket? I work for a small municipality and we don't have any consistency on this. Your input is greatly appreciated

Here it's reimbursement if you pass the class and get the CEUs. Normally passing is not an issue although I have been a couple where it got a little sticky.

We ask our boss if we can take a class or a cert test, he says to go for it, and we use our city credit card. There is some kind of limit to how many times you can fail a test before you have to start paying for it, I think you can fail twice and any subsequent attempts are on you.

Training CEU are paid by the Town town vehicle or milage and time, we pay for a certification and licenses

Muni was worried that you would leave if they paid for training so I picked up the cost on the first one. The next two the muni picked up the cost and I'm still here.

Our small jurisdiction pays for all training classes and tests -- Pass or fail, it doesn't matter. A failed test is viewed as a learning opportunity. Cert renewals are also paid by the jurisdiction. The only negative is they do NOT give certification pay increases. So there isn't much incentive to get additional certifications.

In CA, Continuing Education is paid for by the local Jurisdiction. Per state law, A local government may charge or increase inspection fees to the extent necessary to offset any added costs incurred in complying with Continuing Education.

The third party company I work for now reimburse me for classes, tests, certs, , my time, travel and membership of professional organizations. Worked for other companies that did part of this. Some would not pay over the required CEU's to keep my cert. Very first time before hired I paid for everything myself.

Every time that you get a paycheck, you are being reimbursed for your certifications and CEUs.

Every time that you get a paycheck, you are being reimbursed for your certifications and CEUs.
You, being in CA, your employer, City or County, is required to reimburse you for your continuing education

You, being in CA, your employer, City or County, is required to reimburse you for your continuing education
I got a check for $25.00 in the year 2000. Back then I had to pass a test for each certification. That meant that I had to purchase the code books because the County was way behind.

Reimbursed for passed certs. Immediate pay increase for additional certs. CEU’s paid up front, if its time sensitive or an organization the inspector is involved with alone will get reimbursed.

Do any of you guys have to sign a one year contract extension or the like if they (your municipality) pay for your cert?