• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Whole Building Traps

jar546

Forum Coordinator
If there is one thing that is a pet peeve, its whole house/building traps. They just create a double trap, are often tapped into when located inside and just cause nothing but maintenance headaches. They are old school and unnecessary, not to mention against the plumbing code.

Thoughts?

BTW you are looking at a restaurant with an exterior grease trap and building trap even though all fixtures inside are trapped.

IMG_0259.JPG

The only time they might be beneficial is on a combined storm/sanitary sewer system if you're doing work in an old downtown city area.

Had a utility require house traps where new sewer lines were installed where everybody had septic before. It was because the old houses might not have fixtures trapped or might have S traps.

Can anyone tell me the reason why the building traps are not allowed in the plumbing code? Many plumbers (who prob don’t read code) still put them in, prob learned from old timers. As a code official I am just the messenger but I’d like to explain why it’s not allowed. Many say it helps keeps odors from sewer out of the building. So what’s the alternative design? Vents without the U trap? Thanks

Can anyone tell me the reason why the building traps are not allowed in the plumbing code? Many plumbers (who prob don’t read code) still put them in, prob learned from old timers. As a code official I am just the messenger but I’d like to explain why it’s not allowed. Many say it helps keeps odors from sewer out of the building. So what’s the alternative design? Vents without the U trap? Thanks

With today's modern building codes, all fixtures are properly trapped and vented. There is no need to trap an entire building these days and this would specifically violate the code that does not allow double traps. This would essentially double trap every fixture in the building.

You could throw extra vents in to prevent the double trapping. I don't know why you would want to work that hard to have a whole building trap, but it would fix the double trap issue.