• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Why Is This Being Done?

Insulation is added, whether exterior or interior, to reduce the hollow rattling noise when a door within the frame is closed. They used to fill the frames with grout, but the moisture in the grout would rust the frames. The Steel Door Institute no longer recommends grouting. Sometimes fiberglass insulation is used, but the foam insulation works better.

# ~ #

Might be some room privacy installation [ i.e. - sealing the openings
in a room \ space ].

# ~ #

We still grout door frames, particularly in industrial facilities. This is why galvanized welded door frames are a thing.

When they rust out, its time to replace them. I've seen them last ~50 years which seems reasonable.

In any case, grouting or foaming, you do it AFTER the door is installed.

They though it was a good energy savings idea. I don't, the metal will conduct the temperature delta right through it.

It may have some value to air sealing if they foam the flange after it it installed in block or solid wall
Gotta be a little better no? If it ends up air sealed that is... Plus the sound?