• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Why MINIMUM 17" counter depth for clearance?

Yikes

Gold Member
ADA / CBC 11B-305.3 requires 30"x48" ground clearance for maneuvering. For example, a washing machine would require a 30"x48" parallel approach, centered on the machine. When I have an adjacent counter as per the illustration below, this parallel space can include knee and toe clearance underneath the counter per section 306, but here's the strange question: does the counter also need a MINIMUM depth of 17" in order to qualify the 30"x48" clearance at the washing machine? If so, how does having a minimum depth on the counter (as compared to no counter at all) help the use of the washing machine?
(I only want to use a 15" deep counter, for other reasons.)

The illustration below is a composite of two CBC figures to illustrate the point.
washer_and_counter.jpg

Mark, thanks but perhaps I'm not explaining my situation well. See illustration (plan view) below: I'm trying to fit a washing machine (pale red) and a shelf into an existing space (black lines are walls), and I only have enough room for a 16" deep shelf/counter (pale blue). The toes of the wheelchair will extend under the shelf. Is that OK, even though the shelf is only 16", instead of the 17" minimum?
washer_and_counter_2.jpg