• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Window replacement, Permitting and Flashing Inspection

joetheinspector

Question #1

Does your municipality require a permit to change out existing windows?

Question #2

If so is an exterior flashing inspection required?

We require a permit and a flashing inspection for replacement windows. The reason we do is to check for code compliance. Including, safety glass, sleeping room egress, exterior flashing, etc.

We do not require a permit to change out existing windows unless they intend to make an alteration to the size of the window.

joetheinspector said:
Question #1Does your municipality require a permit to change out existing windows?

Question #2

We require a permit and a flashing inspection for replacement windows. The reason we do is to check for code compliance. Including, safety glass, sleeping room egress, exterior flashing, etc.
We do the same as you and require a floor plan with a schedule of the existing windows.

Personally, I think requiring a replacement window permit is symptomatic of an overstaffed building department.

brudgers said:
Personally, I think requiring a replacement window permit is symptomatic of an overstaffed building department.
Even with a floor plan and schedule, safety glazing and eeros get missed quite often. Some of the examples of flashing that we encounter make it clear that there is a need for oversight.

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_1628.jpg

I have seen some crazy window installations that should have had inspections, so I get it. We just don't have the man power to do inspections on things like re-roofs and windows.

joetheinspector said:
Question #1Does your municipality require a permit to change out existing windows?

Question #2

Hi Joe,

Not to hijack your topic, perhaps just kink it a bit.

If a home had bedroom windows that do not meet current egress requirements should a building department require compliance with current code when replacement windows are to be installed.

TIA

Bill

I'll throw what we do at you....

If the replacement does not make the window less than what the current egrees conditions are then no we do not require them to comply with current codes.

KZ, not in a city north of you.

Exemption from Permit - ORSC Section R105.2, Item 17. Door and window replacement (where no structural member is changed).

What mule said......even though we don't issue permits, when folks call, that what we tell them.

Mule said:
I'll throw what we do at you....If the replacement does not make the window less than what the current egrees conditions are then no we do not require them to comply with current codes.
We do that too. That's a difficult concept for a lot of folks. They think that as long as they didn't make the hole that the window goes into any smaller, then they are good. Trying to explain that it is the hole that you crawl through can be a pain after they installed retrofits that reduced the opening.

gbhammer said:
We do not require a permit to change out existing windows unless they intend to make an alteration to the size of the window.
Ditto here. Most of the windows that are getting replaced here are the old double hung. The new inserts make it a quick and easy job and require no structural alterations. Remove the sashes, insert replacement window, trim, and you are done.

And as Mule & fatboy have said, as long as it doesn't make the opening any smaller, no permit.

I put an insert into the water bill last spring with widow requirements. It has gotten folks to call and it has helped with getting the correct information out to the public.

Last edited by a moderator:
joetheinspector said:
If style (i.e., double-hung, casement, tempered, etc.) and size (i.e., larger, smaller) do not change, then no. If style or size do change, then yes.

joetheinspector said:
Question #2If so is an exterior flashing inspection required?
No flashing inspection. We would inspect for structural (i.e., header, king studs, etc) and life safety (i.e., egress, tempering, etc.).

Alias said:
Ditto here. Most of the windows that are getting replaced here are the old double hung. The new inserts make it a quick and easy job and require no structural alterations. Remove the sashes, insert replacement window, trim, and you are done.And as Mule & fatboy have said, as long as it doesn't make the opening any smaller, no permit.

I put an insert into the water bill last spring with widow requirements. It has gotten folks to call and it has helped with getting the correct information out to the public.
Hi Folks,

Thanks for your responses and Thank You also to Joetheinspector for tolerating my hijack.

Windows and doors are my specialty and I'd like to split this hair a little finer. In the fenestration replacement business there are basically two types of window jobs.

The first is a retrofit window. A retrofit window is a new window that fits within and existing window frame. Installation of a retrofit window ALWAYS results in a reduction of free opening size. Examples of retrofit windows would include:

Pocket Windows. The window Alias described above is a pocket window (Some times called a block frame window) . I'm sorry to disappoint you Alias but installation of a pocket window not only will raise the sill height but ALWAYS results in a smaller free opening size.

Flush Fin Windows. These vinyl windows are installed into an existing aluminum frame after removing the sashes and interlock. Flush Fin windows ALWAYS reduce free opening sizes.

The second type of window job is a replacement window. A replacement window is just that, a whole new window. Obviously to replace the whole window the exterior cladding must be removed and the new window must be properly integrated with the weather resistive barrier. Replacement windows typically do not reduce free opening size.

Many window replacement companies and many building inspection departments rationalize retrofit windows as maintaining free opening size when in fact the resultant free opening is approximately three inches shorter and narrower.

Just another fly in the ointment.

Bill

Retrofit. The original aluminum track measured 3/4". The opening height went from 48" to 50".

DSCN2046.jpg

ICE said:
Retrofit. The original aluminum track measured 3/4". The opening height went from 48" to 50".
DSCN2046.jpg
As usual, You're out to lunch!!!! If the aluminum track measured 3/4" and by my read of your pic I see 2 3/4". Given the same thing happens on the top Copernicus says the opening diminished by 4". That would suggest that you need a subordinate who reads the tape for you. Proally need the subordinate to sign off on the arithmetic as well.

Bill

Looking again at another seam line, I see 1 3/4", that would result in a loss of two inches, still in the NEGATIVE direction.

Bill

KZQuixote said:
As usual, You're out to lunch!!!! If the aluminum track measured 3/4" and by my read of your pic I see 2 3/4". Given the same thing happens on the top Copernicus says the opening diminished by 4". That would suggest that you need a subordinate who reads the tape for you. Proally need the subordinate to sign off on the arithmetic as well.Bill
Sorry to blow your skirt up Willie. I guess I probably wasn't clear enough for anybody but me. The height off the floor went up two inches. Oh and about the subordinate, have you met Mini-Tiger? So enough with the niceties. Tell me what you really think.