• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Window replacement, Permitting and Flashing Inspection

KZQuixote said:
Opening Height/Sill Height.It's all about termoniaglly ain't it?

Bill
That's it?.....That's the best you can come up with?.....Damn, I was expecting a huff and a puff and I'll bloooowwww your house down. Your spelling of terminology is the ironic twist I like about you. Certainly, you are more than a moment's entertainment. Let's squeeze out two.

Bye Bye Willy! You're off to a new day of breathing through the top of your head. Oh crap, that's the whale, not you. That's right mouthbreathingwindowanddoorman. {Ya have to imagine the music.} I no-longer see your beady little eyes. This feels refreshing. It must be the music. Oh and Wills, the first PM was out of line, from there you just got ugly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mule said:
I'll throw what we do at you....If the replacement does not make the window less than what the current egrees conditions are then no we do not require them to comply with current codes.
You won't know that unless you inspect it, know what the current window looks like and have the exact specs on the replacement window.

jar546 said:
You won't know that unless you inspect it, know what the current window looks like and have the exact specs on the replacement window.
We require those specifications at the time of the application for the permit. We only require the bedroom window information. Height of sill from floor and inside clear dimensions.

Mule said:
We require those specifications at the time of the application for the permit. We only require the bedroom window information. Height of sill from floor and inside clear dimensions.
Ahh, unpaid work. But, that is the difference between a municipality providing a service and a for profit 3rd party agency.

Thanks for all the good posts.

It is surprising how many new or retro-fit window installations (even with a floor plan and window schedule) do not meet code (safety glass, egress, flashing).

As far as meeting the egress requirements of the current building code: we have adopted appendix J or 2009 IRC. Section AJ102.1 . . . shall not make the building any less conforming to this code . . .

So if the opening, the clear opening (the opening you crawl through). Is not any smaller then it meets code.

ICE the sill going from 48 to 50 would not meet code.

Also we see retro-fit windows that close in the opening a little and do meet current code because the original window was lower and had a bigger opening then required by code.

Question #1

Does your municipality require a permit to change out existing windows?

Question #2

If so is an exterior flashing inspection required?

We require a permit and a flashing inspection for replacement windows. The reason we do is to check for code compliance. Including, safety glass, sleeping room egress, exterior flashing, etc.

I have a great recommendation of a company that installed my windows and do everything up-to-code and work with the Home Owner's Association. It's in Dallas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto here. Most of the windows that are getting replaced here are the old double hung. The new inserts make it a quick and easy job and require no structural alterations. Remove the sashes, insert replacement window, trim, and you are done.

And as Mule & fatboy have said, as long as it doesn't make the opening any smaller, no permit.

I put an insert into the water bill last spring with widow requirements. It has gotten folks to call and it has helped with getting the correct information out to the public.

"That" is the most logical transfer of notice I have heard, why can't you do the same thing with ADA compliance?