• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Windows for New Construction NFRC requirements

Bea A

Hello

Im trying to import some windows from another country but they do not have certification such as NFRC, AAMA, NAFS or NAMI. Is this certification a must to install those windows?
The manufacturer told me that the windows will comply with U-Factor (0.40 min in my area) and SGHC (0.25 min in my area) and that they will provide a label showing that. Will that be enough for compliance with IECC or it should be certified by the agencies mentioned before. I read in some place that this certification is optional but i am not sure about it

I can not find any specific text that says that i can not install the windows if they does not have such certifications.

Could you guide me in this matter?
Thanks in advance

This is really a question for your local building department. They will be able to tell you exactly what they do and do not require in your area.

Reactions: ICE
2015 IRC states:
N1101.10.3 (R303.1.3) Fenestration product rating.
U-factors of fenestration products (windows, doors and skylights) shall be determined in accordance with NFRC 100.
Exception: Where required, garage door U-factors shall be determined in accordance with either NFRC 100 or
ANSI/DASMA 105.
U-factors shall be determined by an accredited, independent laboratory, and labeled and certified by the manufacturer.
Products lacking such a labeled U-factor shall be assigned a default U-factor from Table N1101.10.3(1) or
N1101.10.3(2).
The solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC) and visible transmittance (VT) of glazed fenestration products
(windows, glazed doors and skylights) shall be determined in accordance with NFRC 200 by an accredited,
independent laboratory, and labeled and certified by the manufacturer. Products lacking such a labeled SHGC or VT
shall be assigned a default SHGC or VT from Table N1101.10.3(3).

How is the mfg. arriving at his numbers? 3d party testing?

Do the default numbers work in your area?

This is really a question for your local building department. They will be able to tell you exactly what they do and do not require in your area.
Absolutely correct. I had a container load from England not long ago. Really nice windows. The contractor was building a mansion for his sister. I can't remeber the details on the windows and the contractor is in England now but I might get some info from him. I remember that they were not listed or labeled by any USA organization but like I said, they were really nice windows. It does come down to the AHJ. I considered all the facts and accepted them. That might be wrong....but I'm not losing any sleep over it.