• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Wonderful Woodstove

Alias

I had a tenant complaint come in about the condition of their rental. The main reason for the complaint was a non-functioning cook stove. I tagged the house as uninhabitable without repairs and the woodstove as a hazard. The woodstove is the only way to heat the home. I told the tenant not to use it for any reason. Luckily, they hadn't been using it (no wood).This is what I found when I went out to investigate:

View attachment 1636

View attachment 1637

View attachment 1638

View attachment 1639

View attachment 1636

View attachment 1637

View attachment 1638

View attachment 1639

/monthly_2012_01/572953e482619_309W.2nd-01-11-2012-TenantComplaint069.jpg.98ccd395e9602d3d13bcd8be80199d2e.jpg

/monthly_2012_01/572953e4848ce_309W.2nd-01-11-2012-TenantComplaint067.jpg.ebdf267b8b377d84bbdf6176ac36e77b.jpg

/monthly_2012_01/572953e486463_309W.2nd-01-11-2012-TenantComplaint068.jpg.d5a9bfa54f74bf42429ed9ad63f32dc7.jpg

/monthly_2012_01/572953e4887e2_309W.2nd-01-11-2012-TenantComplaint064.jpg.b975f75e00f1c5eba4d68bfb13d727ac.jpg

being a little bueracratic there Alias. that jb weld for woodstoves is you all listed after all. if it ain't broke why fix it! Jeez :mrgreen:

If this situation was in the jurisdiction I used to work for I would say..... fill it up with wood, light it and leave! I would tell the FD to let it burn and keep the houses adjacent to it from burning down....

To give you where I'm coming from... population around 15,000, around 5500 SFR...I averaged razing around 20 to 25 a month for a year or so. Razed a total of 360. All of them needed it! Bad bad shape!!!

Way to go Alias!!! Keep up the good work!!

Second substandard rental for these tenants that I have been in in one year. I am getting into substandard homes but, I swear these folks are a magnet for decrepit homes. Anyone wanna try for 3 in a year? ;)

See shoe string post for answer. You must know the violator real well, I mean thats what happens in one horse towns (and no I am not refering to the gal that has the hats).

These slum lords all over the country need to do serious jail, and during their probation make them live in them at least 90 days.I think every AHJ has them.

David Henderson said:
These slum lords all over the country need to do serious jail, and during their probation make them live in them at least 90 days.I think every AHJ has them.
The owner was living there until about 6 months ago. He was the one who did a lot of the "upgrades" and "repairs". There was a heat pump until he decided to remove it in favor of the woodstove. It is now sitting under a bush and all the wiring was cut too close to the unit and the wall so it is worthless.

David Henderson said:
would have like to seen it before the upgrades.
It was actually owned by a very nice lady who is now deceased. She kept it in immaculate condition and had the central heating unit installed. No permit, but, I know the contractor who did install it and he's a good ol' boy. I was not here when he did the work hence the lack of oversight. *sigh*

Mule said:
If this situation was in the jurisdiction I used to work for I would say..... fill it up with wood, light it and leave! I would tell the FD to let it burn and keep the houses adjacent to it from burning down....To give you where I'm coming from... population around 15,000, around 5500 SFR...I averaged razing around 20 to 25 a month for a year or so. Razed a total of 360. All of them needed it! Bad bad shape!!!

Way to go Alias!!! Keep up the good work!!
Mule,

Thanks! I wish I could get the powers that be on board with your ideas. Doing code enforcement here is like pulling teeth, especially when you go after someone prominent in the community. They want me to justify and well I don't think I should have to do that. Then it was a committee to decide which house was substandard........... I made sure that that didn't come into existence!

Mule said:
To give you where I'm coming from... population around 15,000, around 5500 SFR...I averaged razing around 20 to 25 a month for a year or so. Razed a total of 360. All of them needed it! Bad bad shape!!!
I read a book a yr or two ago, can't remember the author's name, called "My Grandfather's Finger", about the piney woods of east Texas. Don't suppose that would be your area? The author's grandfather was a logger who came home one day with one of his fingers in his pocket, and no details on how he lost it. Grandma put it in a jar of formaldehyde on the mantel.

Alias said:
Mule, Thanks! I wish I could get the powers that be on board with your ideas. Doing code enforcement here is like pulling teeth, especially when you go after someone prominent in the community. They want me to justify and well I don't think I should have to do that. Then it was a committee to decide which house was substandard........... I made sure that that didn't come into existence!
We had several structures that the FD would practice on. We were a volunteer FD so it made for some good training and a lot less cost to to haul off. Ashes do not take up as much space as a lot of wood ! :)

Also the SWAT team would practice before the FD burned it down..

jim baird said:
I read a book a yr or two ago, can't remember the author's name, called "My Grandfather's Finger", about the piney woods of east Texas. Don't suppose that would be your area? The author's grandfather was a logger who came home one day with one of his fingers in his pocket, and no details on how he lost it. Grandma put it in a jar of formaldehyde on the mantel.
Nope Jim that wasn't my place, but I bet you've heard of it before. Probably everybody has. That was a WILD city to work for!! At least the later years were........I left around 8-9 years ago..right before I left there was a city councilman and the city manager that was getting into a heated argument...city manager stood up, threw the budget book at the councilman and said...why don't we go outside and I'll whip your BLEEP %#$@^*.... Yep! He said it!!!

Sorry to get off track but sometimes stories seem to pop up out of others comments....

my apologies!

Mule said:
We had several structures that the FD would practice on. We were a volunteer FD so it made for some good training and a lot less cost to to haul off. Ashes do not take up as much space as a lot of wood ! :) Also the SWAT team would practice before the FD burned it down..
Mule,

I got a memo from the FM when I sent out the latest notices posted on vacant buildings I was tagging that I shouldn't expect the volunteer FD to burn any down. At no time did I request or expect the FD to be involved. Just giving all the depts. a heads up in case Joe Citizen called with questions. What the &*%^*?

Geez, that's working together! Now the EPA or some branch below that has determined that the smoke from the shingles and whatever else is not good for the environment so now the only thing we do or should I say the AHJ that I work for now only uses the structure for the SWAT team and the FD sets of smoke bombs and practices venting the structure and resue procedures. No more burning down the place! :(

Mule said:
No more burning down the place! :(
When I was in the Fire Service, we liked to burn those old building down. It was excellent practice. I recall one that a fire was set behind a couch. We got good bouncing water off the wall behind the couch and controlling the fire. Same place, the fire was set and we went in and waited for the fire to start rolling across the ceiling. That was cool, watching the flame dance over our heads. I feel sorry for the rookies who do not get to train with real fire.

righter101 said:
You probably would't allow a 55 gallon burn barrell in a living room either???
A number of years ago we gave notice to an 8 story hotel under construction for using burn barrels in the building, and for not having temp standpipes. Sup.t said he had nothing to burn.

Temp. standpipes went in on Friday (stop work order deadline)

Saturday the freshly installed roof covering and insulation caught fire and took with it the crated custom aluminum skylight framing sitting on the roof awaiting installation over the artium--smoke was visible 30 miles away. There were also flying propane cylinders from the roofing torches etc

Convoy of drywall trucks had to be sent back and the schedule was delayed another 6 months.

The trash barrel on the roof musta been piled real high as it was half full of ashes.

we are now required to do asbestos abatement prior to burning shacks. they all have asbestos containing flooring, drywall compound, siding, roofing, duct wrap and the list goes on. pretty spendy to conduct drills anymore. We have built reusable practice structures instead. Makes you miss the good old days of tossing gas in the structure and barbeque some dogs in the coals, no regulations attached.