• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Wood frame in slip track?

Sifu

SAWHORSE
Anyone ever seen or detailed a wood frame stud wall in a slip track?

Are you referring to a top-of-wall condition with a non-load bearing wall under a roof where the track allows for the deflection of the roof?

Are you referring to a top-of-wall condition with a non-load bearing wall under a roof where the track allows for the deflection of the roof?
Yes. Personally I think this is a plan error using a stock note, but I don't have much to go on. I don't see why it can't be done other than a sloppy fit with track width vs. stud width. Just curious how a wood stud wall can work with a metal slip track. I "think" the architect may be referring to truss clips installed at the top of wall, not slip track.

Yes. Personally I think this is a plan error using a stock note, but I don't have much to go on. I don't see why it can't be done other than a sloppy fit with track width vs. stud width. Just curious how a wood stud wall can work with a metal slip track. I "think" the architect may be referring to truss clips installed at the top of wall, not slip track.
If the correct size track can be found, and said track has suitable slot dimensions, I'm not sure why it couldn't be done.

That said, Simpson and others make products specific for this application, such as the STC clips - https://www.strongtie.com/trussclips_platedtrussconnectors/tc_roofclips/p/stc.stct.dtc

Possibly thinking of crown molding on both sides of wall anchored to ceiling. Kind of track light. Sifu is probably correct, the draftperson just wasnt thinking wood framing. Give the draftperson a little credit for recognizing the issue.

Not sure with top plate in a track where either the ceiling or wall drywall would attach or how a backing angle or clips might be installed.

That said, Simpson and others make products specific for this application, such as the STC clips - https://www.strongtie.com/trussclips_platedtrussconnectors/tc_roofclips/p/stc.stct.dtc
Ahh, and personally, I prefer the connection of non-bearing partition walls to deflection prone horizontal framing (trusses, floor joists, etc.) via the deflection screws, such as the Simpson SDPW - https://www.strongtie.com/strongdri...dpw_screw/p/strong-drive-sdpw-deflector-screw.

What code section says this is illegal?

The picture suggests that this wall is curved. I do not see that it is possible to install a curved piece of lumber at the base of the wall.

What code section says this is illegal?

The picture suggests that this wall is curved. I do not see that it is possible to install a curved piece of lumber at the base of the wall.
Who said it was illegal?

And be aware, the OP confirmed that the intent of the slip track is for deflection of the horizontal framing above the non-load bearing wall.

Engineer specified the truss clips, so one out of two ain't bad. Not sure where the "illegal" term came from either. But FWIW, prescriptively the curved wall track shown may run up against 2304.3.1.

But FWIW, prescriptively the curved wall track shown may run up against 2304.3.1.
2304.3 Wall framing. The framing of exterior and interior walls shall be in accordance with the provisions specified in Section 2308 unless a specific design is furnished.

2304.3.1 Bottom plates. Studs shall have full bearing on a 2-inch-thick (actual 11/2-inch) or larger plate or sill having a width not less than equal to the width of the studs.