• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Wood Stoves and Craigslist

"I get it" especially from a smaller jurisdiction where you're lucky/residents are lucky to have adopted codes. The dangerous part is once you make a call that is not prescribed in the codes everyone and their mother’s uncle wants to bend rules.

If it is a replacement stove no permit required in NJ.

From New Jersey regulations--

© The following items are ordinary maintenance and shall be treated as such by every enforcing

agency. No permit for, inspections of, or notice to the enforcing agency of ordinary maintenance shall be

required. This is not an all-inclusive listing of ordinary maintenance.

5. Ordinary heating, ventilation and air conditioning maintenance shall include:

i. ...

viii. Replacement of stoves and ovens in dwelling units, provided no change in fuel type or location or

electrical characteristics is required.

http://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/codes/codreg/pdf_regs/njac_5_23_2.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
gbhammer said:
...and their mother’s uncle wants to bend rules.
I really do not like this mother's uncle person. I always know it is him, because I first ask if he has a sister, and then if his sister has any children. Then I tell him, "good day to you sir" even though I want to say "good day to you mother's uncle."

Shortly into my first inspector job, I was asked to inspection our permit techs mother's wood stove. It was approved by my predecessor so this should be a slam dunk. I soon learned that Dan the welder built the charmer and you could fit a stump or two inside. Yes, she had 1" of rear clearance when the code required

48". After explaining the dangers of pyrolysis and how unsafe this installation was, she used another insurance company that did not require an inspection report.

I bought one of these from ChimneyHeaters.com . I installed and it works fine. Heats my 2000 square foot house. I have the pump connected to a UPS but I am not sure how long the pump will run if the electric goes out. I had it installed all winter and did not have to turn on my Electric heat once which saved me about 200 euro a month here in Romania.

The Electric is not stable here so I had to rush to take out the fire a couple of times because the water pump had stopped and the pressure valves were going off. The UPS will solve that but I dont know how long a UPS will keep my central pump going. I will attach a pic of what chimney heaters are in case you are not familiar with them. The pump is a Grundfos and has three speeds.

I needed a wood stove inspections at my house. This was for the insurance company. I had just been layed off from the FD. I called the station and was told the FD did not do wood stove inspections anymore. Two weeks later, the chiefs kid needed a wood stove inspection. Suddenly the FD was in the inspection business again.

I asked my insurance agent if General Fire Equipment could inspect my wood stove. I was told that would work. I inspected my own work and it passed the inspection. Best of all, the inspector (me) did not charge for the inspection.