• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

"Work Area" for HVAC alteration R-2

ggm.arch

Hi all I could really use some advice on this one.

1930's 2 story w/ store with 2 apartments above.
1980's, converted to 4 apartments w/ electric baseboard heat.
R-2
Type Va protected (originally)
(The building has 1 1/4" plaster throughout and it is solid, much to my amazement.)

The project; the owner wants to convert back to Gas but with 4 individual forced air furnaces with A/C units.......no walls to be moved, no doors to be moved, no alteration of any kind other than the
adding of the units, the piping of gas(on exterior of building), exhaust, and intakes (through unit walls
directly), and laying the ductwork above the existing drop ceilings with the appropriate punches through the walls above the ceilings (in the respective units) to route the flex duct.

they are also changing some flooring and cabinets in the kitchen(fixtures to remain located in same location) I assume the paint and flooring will constitute repairs(w/proper smoke d info). but when I look at changing or altering/extending a system such as HVAC equipment. I get kicked into Level II alteration.

Now, my First question is.....what constitutes "Work Area" in this scenario?
Reconfigured Space is N/A except where a new utility closet
is being built or extended to fit the new Air Handler unit. one unit is getting an above the
ceiling in-line system because there's more headroom above the ceiling than floor space.
if all 4 units are receiving this work, does that kick them into greater the 50% work area
of floor? I just can't figure out how to determine this within the definitions of the code.

"WORK AREA. That portion or portions of a building consisting of all reconfigured spaces as indicated on the construction documents. Work area excludes other portions of the building where incidental work entailed by the intended work must be performed and portions of the building where work not initially intended by the owner is specifically required by this code." from def's 2015IEBC don't wanna get the copyright police after me. ;-)

According to me, (it seems) the closets are the only reconfigured spaces. Is that a fair/correct assessment? Would the running of ductwork be considered “incidental?” or NOT? If not...the
IEBC 804.2.2 Groups R-2 would require sprinklers at the 50% threashold and above since
It’s already a 4 plex. I told the client this can get pretty slippery and expensive. they asked me to look into it so here i am.

Second Question, is on the existing plaster… as we used to consider that as 1 hr would remain. Would this be the determination of the local BI or am I missing the place in the code that considers it as original protected/separated construction? Or does he have to fire rate the ceilings and stairwell Again? It was considered 1 hr in the 80’s when it was converted to 4 apartments. The stairwell only serves one unit which is accessible from the exterior on the ground floor but there's also a door with a glass transom to the entrance of the apartment on the second floor. I think it needs to be fire rated even though no-one else uses it and replace the transom with wired-glass and a steel frame (but i think this would not be considered "work area" related, just code issue coming up that would need to be addressed) Maybe that question 2.1.

thanks in advance
g

I agree the IEBC still needs a lot of work....But technically I would only consider the duct area in that circumstance, but that will be an AHJ call....

504.1 Scope. Level 2 alterations include the reconfiguration
of space, the addition or elimination of any door or window,
the reconfiguration or extension of any system, or the installation
of any additional equipment.

Thank You Steveray, So maybe what I would have to consider Incidental is the partial removal and replacement of and existing ceiling grid to place the "work" i.e. ducts. And calculate the duct runs and the furnace closet as the actual "area of work." I was going to use all flex duct so they wouldn't have to replace the grid and ceilings for fear of the code biting them in the behind as if we reconfigured the space with a new grid. IEBC is a minefield....it's a convoluted way of saying in a joking way, tear it down and start over!

If you go prescriptive it kinda just has to be not less safe....but that is a lot more vague too....best to have a conversation with the AHJ....