• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Work Space Exterior Equipment

I will also add that the shock hazard for a 240 volt A/C disconnect is greater than that of the 120 volt receptacle for the garbage disposer.

Chris

gbhammer said:
So you’re saying that if there are conditions that would make it impractical to have working space clearance for an AC disconnect; then it’s ok to ignore the rule.
NEC 90.1(A): "The purpose of this Code is the practical safeguarding of persons and property from hazards arising from the use of electricity." I believe that it is sometimes necessary to examine the A/C disconnect for voltage while it is energized. IMO 110.26(A) applies. I also think it is sometimes necessary to test three way light switches while energized to see why they are not working correctly. 110.26(A) is very broadly written and it is hard to know where to decide to draw the line on it's application. There have been unsuccessful attempts to come up with changes to it's text to make it less ambiguous. At the present, it is left up to the AHJ to decide how to apply it. The best way for me to get a handle on it is to look back at that opening statement in article 90. Is it practical to provide working space in front of every receptacle and light switch? I don't think so. Is it practical to provide working space in front of the A/C disconnect? I think so.

IAEI, just like UL, doesn't enforce the code.

Sorry Ice, will have to disagree with this. There are several inspectors that belong to IAEI that enforce the code daily. I was on the Board of the Central Arizona Chapter Southwestern Section 2002-2003 and this same discussion was on the table a few times. Not tootin' my own horn, just sayin' there are several qualified people that work for the organization that can help people with interpretations of the NEC.

110.26 Spaces About Electrical Equipment.

Sufficient access and working space shall be provided and maintained about all electrical equipment to permit ready and safe operation and maintenance of such equipment.

Key to understanding 110.26 is the division of requirements for spaces about electrical equipment in two separate and distinct categories: working space and dedicated equipment space. The term working space generally applies to the protection of the worker, and dedicated equipment space applies to the space reserved for future access to electrical equipment and to protection of the equipment from intrusion by nonelectrical equipment. The performance requirements for all spaces about electrical equipment are set forth in this section. Storage of material that blocks access or prevents safe work practices must be avoided at all times.
(A) Working Space. Working space for equipment operating at 600 volts, nominal, or less to ground and likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized shall comply with the dimensions of 110.26(A)(1), (A)(2), and (A)(3) or as required or permitted elsewhere in this Code.

The intent of 110.26(A) is to provide enough space for personnel to perform any of the operations listed without jeopardizing worker safety. These operations include examination, adjustment, servicing, and maintenance of equipment. Examples of such equipment include panelboards, switches, circuit breakers, controllers, and controls on heating and air-conditioning equipment. It is important to understand that the word examination, as used in 110.26(A), includes such tasks as checking for the presence of voltage using a portable voltmeter.Minimum working clearances are not required if the equipment is such that it is not likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized. However, “sufficient” access and working space are still required by the opening paragraph of 110.26.
2008 NEC HANDBOOK

Last edited by a moderator:
Like ICE, I do not take issue with any of what you are all saying. What I have a problem with is the fact that if you read the code as it is written, then we could never build a building with out some form of noncompliance ("all electric equipment" leaves no room for discusion).

I understand that the handbook uses HVAC as an example, the handbook is not enforceable (The ICC will be happy to tell that to any one who ask.). The thread about the handbook and intent has been volleyed back and forth on this forum more than once.

mtlogcabin said:
Does the NEC have a definition of "equipment"
Yes it does,

"Equipment. A general term, including fittings, devices, appliances, luminaires, apparatus, machinery, and the like used as a part of, or in connection with, an electrical installation."

Chris

gbhammer said:
Like ICE, I do not take issue with any of what you are all saying. What I have a problem with is the fact that if you read the code as it is written, then we could never build a building with out some form of noncompliance ("all electric equipment" leaves no room for discusion).
It does not say all electrical equipment.

110.26(A) states,

"Working space for equipment operating at 600 volts, nominal, or less to ground likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized shall comply with the dimensions of 110.26(A)(1),(A)(2), and (A)(3) or as require or permitted elsewhere in this code."

So it leaves it up to the AHJ to determine what equipment is likely to require examination while energized and that equipment is required to have the working space.

IMHO an A/C disconnect is likely to require examination while energized and therefore the working space specified by 110.26(A) is required for that disconnect.

JMHO,

Chris

Examination is the sticking point. Does examination include testing with a meter? If yes, the equipment must be energized and therefor working space is required. The result of testing voltage is the circuit voltage. Isn't that "examination" a test of the circuit and not the disconnect. If you examine a disconnect on a workbench, does it have voltage?

So is the voltage reading required to be obtained at a disconnect? Is there another option? If yes, obviously it is not required to be at the disconnect. The code provides a safe place to test live circuits at the panelboard. That a tech. finds it convenient to do otherwise is not within the code's purview.

So while I'm talking about promiscuous probing by a probationer, let's put the risk in perspective. Which presents the greater hazard, laying on your back in a cramped, damp crawlspace working in a j-box with energized conductors or reaching over a condenser to stick a probe into a slot with the deadfront installed?

Why would the code allow the crawl but not the reach? The fact that the exponentially more dangerous crawl, with no requirement for working space, is allowed tells me that it is wrong to think that the code prohibits the reach. The code is about the installation and not about how the work is performed. The code provides a safe installation for the workmen and the user but only up to a point.

The word "practical" is brought up and that the code starts out with saying that it is the "Practical safeguarding of persons..." The definition of practical is this: Likely to succeed or be effective in real circumstances; feasible. That means that if you follow the code it is going to [barely] work safely. It doesn't mean that we are able to inject what we deem as practical and call it a code requirement.

My father always placed a panel as close to a kitchen as possible and made every receptacle a home run. That's practical and not required. Providing working space at a disconnect is practical but not required. Placing a j-box in a crawl space is impractical yet allowed by code. When the code says practical it means: Listen up, we figured this is all of what you need, so live with it because it will be OK.

I think back on the electrical work pop and I did and I'm scratching my head wondering why a disconnect behind a rose bush is so scary. Well it's the thorns dummy...much better behind a condenser.

Gosh I hope this makes sense to somebody besides me.

Oh and Mr. Kennedy, look at what you started. ;)

Tiger

Well nobody has said anything for some time now, so I guess we are all in agreement. I like happy endings.

Tiger

raider1 said:
I will also add that the shock hazard for a 240 volt A/C disconnect is greater than that of the 120 volt receptacle for the garbage disposer.Chris
With all due respect this is not a good justification for allowing one and not the other as plenty of people have bought the ranch from being shocked by either of those voltages. A commercial fisherman friend of mine used to always say that the higher AC voltages were safer as they would "push you off while the 110 would have a tendency to make you stick". Regarding the question what ICE says makes sense but I wouldn't be surprised to have the correction written up to move the disconnect.

No code based argument is presented against my position other than 110.26, implying that the use of a voltage tester constitutes "examination." That premise places any and all electrical equipment within the parameters of 110.26. 110.26 would then require receptacles, switches, fixtures, outlets and any other point that a tester might be applied, to have working space. Obviously, that can't be the case.

Dead receptacle. What do you do? Test with a meter. Confirmed dead. What's next? Remove cover plate and receptacle, test conductors. What just happened? Was a receptacle examined while energized? Was the conductor examined while energized? All of it is electrical equipment per the definition. All of it is likely to be examined while energized if the use of a tester constitutes examination.

HVAC equipment has been arbitrarily elevated above equipment such a receptacles, garbage disposals, etc. What about the furnace? Nobody will claim that the disconnect for a furnace shall have working space provided. Why is that? How does a condenser stand out from any other equipment? Were it the intent of the code that the lone disconnect to require working space is the disconnect provided for a condenser, the code would say exactly that.

And finally, working space is a restriction placed on owners that takes space away from the owner. All electrical equipment is hazardous and working space is reserved for equipment that presents a heightened hazard.

Tiger

chris kennedy said:
I just figured it would be in my best interests to say out of it at this point. :D
I already know your position and I respect your opinion.

Going back to the OP and picture, If you were the electrican that needed to mount the disconnect prior to the condenser being set by the HVAC sub, Where would you have placed the disconnect?

If I wasn't the same person installing the condenser unit, I'd ask them to spot where they planned on putting it and mount the disconnect where I could get the proper clearance

ICE said:
No code based argument is presented against my position other than 110.26, implying that the use of a voltage tester constitutes "examination." That premise places any and all electrical equipment within the parameters of 110.26. 110.26 would then require receptacles, switches, fixtures, outlets and any other point that a tester might be applied, to have working space. Obviously, that can't be the case.Dead receptacle. What do you do? Test with a meter. Confirmed dead. What's next? Remove cover plate and receptacle, test conductors. What just happened? Was a receptacle examined while energized? Was the conductor examined while energized? All of it is electrical equipment per the definition. All of it is likely to be examined while energized if the use of a tester constitutes examination.

HVAC equipment has been arbitrarily elevated above equipment such a receptacles, garbage disposals, etc. What about the furnace? Nobody will claim that the disconnect for a furnace shall have working space provided. Why is that? How does a condenser stand out from any other equipment? Were it the intent of the code that the lone disconnect to require working space is the disconnect provided for a condenser, the code would say exactly that.

And finally, working space is a restriction placed on owners that takes space away from the owner. All electrical equipment is hazardous and working space is reserved for equipment that presents a heightened hazard.

Tiger
My point exactly about 'all', and what everyone seems to ignore, which is something that ICE brought up; you can make the examination elsewhere. 110.26 say’s the working space is for when you need ready and safe operation and maintenance. The word "ready" would imply that it is only for equipment that requires a quick fix or needs continued maintenance/work.