• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Would you accept this sill plate anchor?

I see some double sill plates up here, so I let them countersink on the top sill plate, but not when there is a single sill plate.

R404.3 Wood sill plates. Wood sill plates shall be a minimum of 2-inch by 4-inch (51 mm by 102 mm) nominal lumber. Sill plate anchorage shall be in accordance with Sections R403.1.6 and R602.11.

Does not comply with the design of the anchor installation with 2x lumber. I’ve allowed them to install .229 x 3 x 3 washer over the hole filled with washers; 602.11.1

Have allowed the thickness of the washer, have had an engineer sign off on it a few times.

Contractor: But Mr. Inspector if I don't do it this way the bolts will be in the way of my floor joists!

Inspector: Quotes code and tells the contractor to correct the violation. Leaves site.

Contractor to buddies: Aparently this a****** has never framed before!!!

Darren Emery said:
All anchorbolt locations drilled out to countersink bolt 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Worried about the strength of the sill now that its been deminshed in size. Thoughts?
I would compare the actual spacing of bolts with the required spacing. I would also look up the strength of the actual and desired detail in the NDS for wood construction. Then I would make a comment. But I am neither the engineer or the AHJ.

It appears the bolts were not left high enough either. If not, corrective action is tough. I'd have them route out a 3x3 just deep enough for plates and the nuts. I'm betting engineering calcs. would back that up.

It appears the bolts were not left high enough either. If not, corrective action is tough. I'd have them route out a 3x3 just deep enough for plates and the nuts. I'm betting engineering calcs. would back that up.

Pretty deep countersink and what's with the dinky washer?

Sorry gents but I have to hit the BS button here. You don't need engineers or their sold for money calc's to figure this one out. Violation period and Mr. contractor shall fix it. Simple as that!

Jpranch,

It looks like the anchor bolts are too short. Does the IRC have provisions for post-installed anchors? Otherwise, the contractor will need to demo the concrete and install longer anchor bolts to "fix-it" without engineering.

I'd go ahead and add the studs or joists as appropriate, put a coupling nut on the short bolt drop another piece of 2X10 between the studs or joists and run a 1/2" bolt, of the appropriate length with a washer, down into the coupling nut. I'd explain it to the inspector and leave a few incomplete so that I can demonstrate the fix and being a most reasonable type he'll buy off on it. I'd nail the 2X10 block to the plate and the joists/studs to the block.

I'd claim that I planned it that way to take advantage of the additional embedment of the 10" bolt.:grin:

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
We have in the past required them to hammer drill in new bolts (full depth) and to use Hilti epoxy resins or equivalent. We require 4,000 psi concrete for all structural components. Needless to say that it does not happen very often anymore.

not this one either

We use the Titen HD a lot here for hold downs. I see a lot of overdrilling, and even cut off, like this anchor bolt.