• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Would you accept this sill plate anchor?

ajweaver said:
We use the Titen HD a lot here for hold downs. I see a lot of overdrilling, and even cut off, like this anchor bolt.
err... is this depicting a situation where the contractor drilled a hole and stuck a cut off bolt in there to intentionally deceive you? How do you handle that?

If you use titens than doesn't that trigger a special inspection with a certified inspector?

If you use Titens doesn't that trigger a special inspection with a certified inspector?

Rio said:
If you use Titens doesn't that trigger a special inspection with a certified inspector?
Now that IS a good question. Carefull reading of most retro-fit anchor approvals would require SI. We do not require this in our jurisdiciton. Others?

Darren,

Old evaluation reports for post-installed anchors provided allowable capacities with and without special inspection. Tension capacity without special inspection could be 1/2 of that with inspection. Here is a link to an old ESR for Hilti KB-3 anchors http://www.us.hilti.com/fstore/holus/techlib/docs/approvals-listings-reports/icbo/ESR1385_Previous.pdf

Post-installed anchors can be easy to installl. But they are also easy to install incorrectly. OSHPD (California Hospitals) also requires testing: http://www.oshpd.ca.gov/FDD/Regulations/CANs/2007/2-1916A.8.pdf

Assuming if your state or locality adopted section R104.11, the Simpson Titan product is not altogether equivalent to rod anchors depended on the type of environment and treated wood.

Phil: Using the evaluation chart, for anchoring a 2x4 plate to normal weight concrete, it is my interpretation that the largest anchor that can be used, because of the required minimum allowable edge distance, is a 3/8" diameter embedded 2.5". Is this correct? At what spacing?

TimNY said:
err... is this depicting a situation where the contractor drilled a hole and stuck a cut off bolt in there to intentionally deceive you? How do you handle that?
That is indeed the situation. I have had the Titen HD cut off and epoxied too-

In this particular situation, I laughed..You got to be kidding me. ...

it was amazing how a lot of the nuts on the anchor bolts were only hand tightened too. Something I started spot checking more throughout all inspections.

Not much I could do except point it out to the super and ask him to do a better punch.

They lost a lot of credibility, for whatever thats worth.

The correction lists started getting a lot longer too. Had to spend longer on site.

Bill,

Your fix looks good. I might suggest using a short threaded rod and nut rather than a bolt. That way, there isn't any concern with the bolt bottoming before the sill is secure. The coupling nuts need to be short enough (or a little concrete might need to chipped away so the coupling nut can go deeper). Like anything, some knucklehead could mess things up. In large commercial projects, its amazing how often there are problems with the projection or loction of cast in place anchor bolts. But, things seem to improve after the contactor has to demo some concrete to properly place the anchors. Sometimes, this is the cheapest fix.

Jobsaver,

Expansion anchors are held in place by expanding against the hole in the concrete. It is not uncommon to see bigger edge distance requirements for this style of anchor. If there is limited edge distance, a screw anchor like the Titen might work. They don't push on the sides of the hole like many other post installed anchors and require less edge distance.

Why do any of that junk? Just shoot em down. Hilti and Ramset both make a pin that is approved for achoring down sill plates. At least in my area they do! Maybe not in some regions..but they are available.

Mule said:
Why do any of that junk? Just shoot em down. Hilti and Ramset both make a pin that is approved for achoring down sill plates. At least in my area they do! Maybe not in some regions..but they are available.
There is an ES Resport for this, I think its 16" o.c. for exterior walls.

ajweaver said:
There is an ES Resport for this, I think its 16" o.c. for exterior walls.
When I worked as a contractor I loved Hilti. They publish data for every fastener they offer, so there was never any question if fastening met the design criteria. In the odd case it didn't you knew exactly how much more fastening you needed.

That being said, I don't need an ESR to tell me the same thing with a green heading. The ESR requires calculations be submitted to the CEO and requires they be prepared by a licensed design professional.

The use of Hilti powder actuated fasteners is an engineered solution, just like any other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just shoot em down. Hilti and Ramset both make a pin that is approved for achoring down sill plates
And fracture the concrete or worse blow the side out because it is to close to the edge on 2x4 sill plates

Prescriptions anyone? Real solutions in everyday language that take the engineering into account? This many of that size in this pattern having no fasteners closer than this to the edge?

Ajwaever has the right idea with the 16" o.c., but not enough info.

Sure that's a possibility but I have shot down a many plates on garage walls that didn't blow out. You have the same chance of cracking the concrete when you drill and tighten the nut down. You just wouldn't know it!

I believe the ESR for the hilti powder actuated fasteners requires 1-3/4" edge distance. It'd be tough to crack at that distance. The likely scenario is the foundation is out of square so they hang the plate over an inch or so, but a nail in the middle of the 2x4 and say "but I have 1-3/4" from the edge of the 2x4"

ESR also requires the concrete cure to 2000psi prior to fastening. The issue is the ESR for the powder actuated fasteners requires engineering.. So I don't really get the purpose of the ESR. If an engineer said to me that he was going to use fastener x, with shear y and tensile strength z, where shear a and tension b is required, I would approve it. I don't need an ESR.

In the begining...of my framing career we used to "porcupine" a sh!} load of duplexes into the bottom of the green plate and wet set into the screeded concrete and also never blew-out, on the other hand code does say "2x".