• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Would you allow this?

Is the question "Would you allow this?" or should it be "Is this code compliant?"
Well, for a code official, not sure there should be a difference. As a designer, or for that matter a building owner, would you allow this is what I meant.

Well, for a code official, not sure there should be a difference. As a designer, or for that matter a building owner, would you allow this is what I meant.
I believe it is possible to design to code. If someone chooses not to, they made a decision that may have consequences.

I believe it is possible to design to code. If someone chooses not to, they made a decision that may have consequences.
Designing to code is like passing a class with a grade of D. It's the absolute minimum. Anyone using the codes as a design guide is a lousy designer. Complying with the code is indeed a necessary condition, but far from sufficient for good design. It is regrettable that many contractors and building officials believe codes are design guides.