• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

X - Ray Rooms

north star

Sawhorse

Does anyone on here have any experience with construction

of X-Ray Rooms?

I have an existing, small medical clinic and they are wanting to

install an X-Ray machine in to one of their rooms.....Two doors

in to the room, ...room is approx. 12-15 ft. x 12-15 ft.

A contractor has asked me about installing lead in the walls /

doors, etc....What about using 2 layers of 5/8" gyp. board.

Thanks!

Depends on rads, how powerfull is the xray machine.

What is the wall construction?

Get the Manuf instal instructions.

Last edited by a moderator:
& & & &

I do not currently have any info on the type & size of

planned equipment....The contractor is telling me that

the current wall construction is wood framed studs

with " XXX " layers of " XXX " thickness gyp. board.

I asked the contractor to obtain some more info

from the medical office liaison, on the equipment.

Not much to go on I know...

& & & &

No shielding systems should be undertaken without consulting a qualified radiation consultant or certified radiation physicist.

Had one go in recently......sheets of drywall with lead on the back. Every drywall screw was covered with a round piece of lead made for that purpose. And the door......made special with a lead insert. Then they figured out they needed more lead so as not to zap someone walking down a corridor adjacent to the x-ray room. As far as i know....

No innocent bystander has started glowing.

I had a new construction that included stainless steel rebar in the slab under where the xray room was.

They need to supply the MII's and all that other stuff.

sorry north star, I don't know if you are a RDP working for the client or not . . . assuming not, they need to get one.

I have done one, but not from the code or planning side....kinda like daywalker said, lead drywall, 800# lead doors, etc...not a fun day hanging....don't know exactly where the requirements come from....but they shouldn't be that hard to find....Public health maybe? Good luck!

+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +

Thanks to everyone for the reponses!......I had no idea that there was

as much design considerations as there are.....Very enlightening!

Yankee,

No, I am not an RDP!.....I am but a lowly bldg. inspector / plans

examiner asking questions. :cool:

+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +

in colorado an X-ray shielding analysis is performed according to the requirements of colo. dept. of health.

based on workload, occupancy rates,use factors, and typical x-ray tube output performance.

at plan review this is a requirement i place squarely on the designer.