• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Ya. we don't need no stinking commie fire sprinklers....

Perhaps you could give us a objective criteria you want to use.

I always thought economics was a reasonable criteria.

You might value lives as being worth more than $1 million, but ...

You might have an extra $5000 or so to install a sprinkler system, but those below you in the economic structure may not.

Lets look are the real facts

Average home in our state is 1500 sq ft

1500sq ft X 1.70 psf = 2,550.00

2,550 in a 25 year 5% morgage = 12.70 per month

12.70 - 8% insurance savings = 8.00 per month for the sprinkler system

Peace of mind and protection of what is really important = PRICELESS

Is your family and your home worth $8 per month (maybe you could just skip one trip to BurgerWhopper a month for the happy snack)

Bottom Line is SPRINKLERS ARE BOTH AFFORDABLE AND COST EFFECTIVE

From the production builders point of view

5000 homes per year X 2,550 per home = $12,750,000.00

So you tell me who is the real beneficiary of sprinklers

OK I know what your going to say now

Sprinkler Guys

$1.70 psf

materials and design 1.00 psf + Labor and insurance and taxes .50 psf = 1.50 hard cost

Overhead and profit .20 psf X 1500(average home) X 5000 = $1,500,000

* Don't forget to consider the savings when the taxpayer doesnt have to build a full scale fire station in the 5000 home community

* Oh yeah and be sure to factor in NO FIRE DEATHS !

So the score is NAHB 12.7 million and sprinkler contractors 1.5 million

So who is the real greedy ones

Con Arb

I would refer your fire marshal to my previous post

The dumbest statements seem to be coming form the "experts" and all one must do to prove it is read the assanine comment on this board of "code experts" SHEESH

LET ME SAY THIS ONE MORE TIME

1) The cost to value is just as important as the lifesaving and property conservation factors

2) A mandate is not the answer developing a sensible approach executed by trained plumbers that can put hte systems in with the plumbing is the best approach.

Forensics said:
* Oh yeah and be sure to factor in NO FIRE DEATHS !
Yet another lie, look at Wells New York, new building and several lives lost, look at Vallejo California, sprinklers installed 15 years earlier and 2 lives lost, sprinklers guarantee nothing but profit to the corrupt sprinkler industry, just look at Tyco's Roman Orgy?

Wikipedia said:
Tyco paid $1 million (half of the $2 million bill) for the 40th birthday party of Kozlowski's second wife, Karen M. Kozlowski. The extravagant party, held on the Italian island of Sardinia, featured an ice sculpture of the Statue of David urinating Stolichnaya vodka. This birthday bash was disguised as a shareholder meeting in order to get corporate funding. In a camcorder video, Dennis Kozlowski states that this party will bring out a Tyco core competency - the ability to party hard. Subsequently, this shareholder meeting/birthday party became known as the Tyco Roman Orgy.¹
All paid for with the absurd profits of the sprinkler manufacturers.

¹ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Kozlowski