• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Yet another motorcycle thread?

That isn't it then. You need touring models for long road trips. Unless your definition of a long trip is different from mine.

That isn't it then. You need touring models for long road trips. Unless your definition of a long trip is different from mine.
I don't want an 800-900 lb bike. Even the BMW 1250RT was a bit too bulky for me. This is a sport/touring model. The v4S model comes with side cases, has a top case option and excellent wind protection, heated seats and grips along with dynamic cruise control that adjusts speed based on the speed of someone in front of you plus rear radar for approaching cars.

What do you mean by long trips? My day long trips where I might ride 200 miles or more feel pretty long and I am glad to be on my Road King. Yes it does weigh about 950 pounds but I am not riding in cities but instead in open roads in rural areas. A lot less starting stopping and standing at lights or stop signs. If you are doing long trips like day long trips within city limits, I would agree that you should use a lighter bike.

What do you mean by long trips? My day long trips where I might ride 200 miles or more feel pretty long and I am glad to be on my Road King. Yes it does weigh about 950 pounds but I am not riding in cities but instead in open roads in rural areas. A lot less starting stopping and standing at lights or stop signs. If you are doing long trips like day long trips within city limits, I would agree that you should use a lighter bike.

I am contemplating a cross country round trip and would like to do some 200-500 mile days. My current bike is not set up for that. The Ducati is good in the city and the highway. I agree a Road King is certainly a long distance bike, just heavier than I want since I do a lot of city riding too.

Ducati is expensive maintenance...And their North American headquarters just got raided by the FBI I believe....
That is what I thought too which is why Ducati was not on my radar for a new bike. Due to the redesign of their valve system for the V4 engine, no other motorcycle manufacturer comes close to the valve lash servicing which is now 60,000km or about 36,000 miles. I hope they overcome this bias based on old information. My Indian Scout Bobber needs to have the major servicing (valve lash) at 20,000 miles.