• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Your Career

north star

Sawhorse
: - : - :

I have been thinking about submitting this topic for

awhile now, ...thought that I would see if there is

any interest.

A lot of us are somewhere in our careers as Code

Officials, ...Contractors and RDP's.....Some are at

the twilight of their careers, ...some are in the

middle, ...some are at the beginning, and some are

at various points along the way.

Do any of you ever have questions about your

career ?.........Such as: Should I stay or go some-

where else, ...How To Ask For More Money, ...What

are the "tea leaves" in your particular location

looking like, ...How Do I Obtain More Training, ...My

fellow Code Officials are doing XXX under the table,

should I report this to Management or keep quiet,

...Is the grass really greener over there, or does it

just appear to be greener from here, and on and on

and on.

IMO, ...sometimes the answers are pretty easy,

other times, it's a complicated situation that

[ might ] benefit those asking or trying to evaluate

their employment position.

The regular visitors on this Forum have read the

situations [ posted on here ] where some have been

in some pretty lousy employment positions, and

have asked the Forum members & Sawhorses for

input [ no names or locations will be mentioned ] !

My question is, ...do you think that a "new" category

called Career Management would benefit those who

are trying to honestly evaluate their positions,

...either for the short term, ...for the long term or

both, ...or maybe even not at all?

I am seeking input from the members and Sawhorses,

because I find myself needing input on a regular

basis.

Thank you for your consideration and input!

FWIW, ...anonymity about you and your location is

highly suggested !

: - : - :

I do not think we need a new thread, just put it under off topic or code administration

we are always here to give an opinion

"we are always here to give an opinion" Yep, and most are not shy about it!

Some days I need career advice, and some days learn something I'd like to share. It would be good to have a thread for that.

I think this would be a good thread for code officals that have been through the rimger to pass on "this is what I did and this was the outcome". Today we just hired a firefighter from a nearby city department that is giving up his postion as fire inspector after 8 years because of political pressures. He was a very good inspector but got caughtup in election BS. When he told his story it sounded like I was hearing myself talk. He is going back to riding backwards and starting all over.

: - :

FWIW, ...if you have an opinion one way or the other,

please send a PM to Jeff and let him know your

thoughts.......We all can improve this Forum if we let

Jeff know!.............Thanks !

I`ll throw out the first pitch and see where it goes...

Question:

In your current employment position, let's call that

Plan "A", ...do any of you have a Plan "B" in place, or

Plan "C" if you suddenly find your self without a Plan

"A" ?.......In some more words, ...if you suddenly find

yourself unemployed, have you got another job or

[ potential ] job lined up, or another career field ?

Me first!

I am about a year and a half from retirement, and have something to protect. Over the years I have learned a lot of ways to accomplish the job-related requirements. Something bad can erupt at almost any time and you just have to handle it according to your knowlege, skills, and the responsibilities of your employer. New York state gives AHJ's parameters and minimum requirements, and if we are in compliance with the state law, then we are doing everything we are supposed to. As long as I can say I handled a situation in compliance with NY law, that's a high degree of protection for all involved, including your elected officials.

If, on the other hand, I say "Well I thought the whole thing would simply go away" or "I told those guys to work it out" then there is a certain... 'exposure'... and I might have to get my resume up to date.

north star said:
: - : ...if you suddenly find

yourself unemployed, have you got another job or

[ potential ] job lined up, or another career field ?

Hit man...

Plan A - Retire in 4 years at 62 from the city.

Plan B - Reality hit and I have no job next month. So, move Plan A forward 4 years and physically and literally move on. I will miss this place but, it must be my time to leave here.

Sue

Oh.....and karma's a B*tch :p

I was just diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. I am 40 years old with a young family and only 4 years into my inspection career. My plan B advice is to plan for the unimaginable by purchasing stuff you will never think you will need like long term disability insurance. Not looking for a bunch of sympathy here but I am glad that I spent a few bucks every month for insurance and saved my sick time.

Daddy-O,

I am sorry to hear of your bad news!......Thank you

posting on here and letting us know.

I will lift you and your family up to The Father in

prayer!

~ : ~

Hearing Daddy-o's horrible news makes most of the other stuff pretty trivial. Hanng tough friend, we all have you in our thoughts and prayers.

Man! What a sucker punch to the gut! I feel sick. I totally agree with you Fatboy this sure puts things into perspective when you think your day isnt going well.

Stay positive and fight hard! I have seen some unexplainable recoveries from these types of diagnosis. Prayers coming your way!

After being diagnosed with lung cancer in 2007, yes, it definitely puts a new spin on things. Cancer is a horrid, horrid disease. I now live each day to the fullest.

Daddy-O, I'm praying mightily for you.

Sue

Daddy-O, don't give in or give up, but do make peace with whatever happens. Love will get you through. Praying.

And I was the one that turned it, let's get this one back where it started, there is another thread that is ongoing about Daddy-O that we all can track and comment on. Sorry I derailed this one.

Ok, I will try and get us back on topic. Who is considering becoming a CASp? and what are your biggest concerns if you become one? I am unsure of the liability and that scares me.

JPohling said:
Ok, I will try and get us back on topic. Who is considering becoming a CASp? and what are your biggest concerns if you become one? I am unsure of the liability and that scares me.
What is a CASp?