• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Your Career

My employer led me to believe that I would be reimbursed for expenses related to re-certification. Back then, a test was required. That meant buying the code books because the jurisdiction is always a few code cycles behind. Five code books and five tests. I submitted the receipts and was paid $25.00 When I inquired about the disparity I was told "Certifications don't mean anything" "They are required to be hired but certifications do not guarantee competence"

One would think that the testament to an inspectors competence would be the fact that the person was hired to perform as an inspector. After all, who would hire a person that lacks competence in the codes? As it turns out, that would be my employer. During the hiring process I was not asked a code question..not one. I asked the interview panel why they had not asked any code questions and they replied that they wouldn't know what to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
north star said:
: - : - :REVISED NEXT QUESTION:

In your opinion, ...regardless of where you are at in your position

of employment, ...should you have or keep an updated resume ?

I am seeking the input from everyone, including the lurkers and

non-regular posters.......Your opinions DO matter !

: - : - :
I'll answer both questions -

First, while I tried for various positions here at the city, I'm still an Airport Construction Inspector. There are certainly worse jobs. Wondering if my age (about to be ... ahem, 60, is having an affect). I need one more year here in some capacity with the city to become vested so, in one capacity or another I'm here a minimum of a year (probably longer).

Second -

Yeah, I think it's a good idea to always have an updated resume. Do I? No, but I'm almost 60 and no one will hire me (ha-ha).

mmmarvel said:
I'll answer both questions -Second -

Yeah, I think it's a good idea to always have an updated resume. Do I? No, but I'm almost 60 and no one will hire me (ha-ha).
i know the feeling. I'm a few heartbeats away from 62 and I wouldn't hire me. Resume? PHHHFT!

mmmarvel said:
Second -

I don't own an updated resume.......yet. At 58 and a half, and being made redundant as of tomorrow, I know need to do something but just can't move that direction yet. Right now, I'm concentrating on moving and getting the h*ll out of here. I'll be leaving California and watching it disappear in the rear view mirror.........Calumet Michigan, here I come! :D

Sue

You shouldn't have a problem getting stuff transferred here Sue.

Regarding the question on point...........I always keep mine updated in addition to my CV because one never knows.........

pwood said:
i know the feeling. I'm a few heartbeats away from 62 and I wouldn't hire me. Resume? PHHHFT!
Aw, come on you youngsters; I was 68 when I got this job last year. Why do you think God made "Just for Men" hair color? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
We were not created to retire! We are supposed to be working our entire lives,

in the ministry that we have been placed in.

as far as employer paying for CEU. Yes minimum to maintain your certs.

as far as employer paying for certs. NO.

As far as getting more money or a better performance review for getting certs. No No No.

I still get certs on my own time and my own dime. If I put down any accomplishment (such as getting a cert or two) above and beyond what is required at performance review time. They say well we won't include that because we did not ask you to do it.

Anyway, it is good to plug away and pick up certs here and there. It helps me with knowledge now and I have to believe it might help me large in the future. It sure will not hurt.

Life is good.

Uncle Bob said:
Aw, come on you youngsters; I was 68 when I got this job last year. Why do you think God made "Just for Men" hair color? :)
it is good if you got hair!:mrgreen: I will keep working a reduced schedule for my jurisdiction and for the Habitat.

A Different Question:

You see an employment opportunity out there and think that it is a Greener Pasture.

What are some things that you would be looking for to possibly avert the Greener Pasture

from becoming "you leaving the frying pan and entering in to the fire"?

Essentially, what things would you be looking for to determine that that Greener Pasture

isn't a worse place to become employed than where you are currently at? How does one

ascertain "the culture" of an employer?

1. How long has the position been vacant = how deep a hole do I have to dig out of?

2. Do the local boards (planning, zoning, trustees/council) support vigorous enforcement = will they support the decisions you must make?

3. How busy is the department? = numbers of permits by year, nature of projects, enforcement actions etc

4. What became of the previous codes person? = terminated is bad, retired happily is good

5. Ask to see the workspace = open some files and snoop around, look for problems

Drive or walk around the place. What you see can speak volumes. Empty buildings kept up? Ongoing projects well managed? Who can tell you of thier exepriences with the local scene? (some people you know ever do business there?)

Ultimately it's a coin toss, but also the job becomes what you make of it. I'm in my last codes job, and when I started here seven years ago it was uphill all the way. Within four or five months I had the backlog cleared, met all the cast of characters, and knew where some of the bodies were buried.

OH YEA, AND HOW FAR A COMMUTE IS IT?

globe trekker said:
We were not created to retire! We are supposed to be working our entire lives,in the ministry that we have been placed in.

I have 13 years in with my state retirement, I am 37 years old. I can retire when I'm 55. I can't wait. I'm moving South and working for Jeff. haha

Essentially, what things would you be looking for to determine that that Greener Pasture isn't a worse place to become employed than where you are currently at? How does one ascertain "the culture" of an employer?
One must investigate the area, job and people before making a leap. Interview some people in the area and research the department, position read council minutes or watch public access TV in the area to get an idea. One must answer the question if the area or job will be better for the homefront also. Personally, if I would have stayed in South Florida, I would be retired back in 07 but may be a basket case too. The simple easy going lifestyles here were great for raising and growing my family so that was worth it to me personally. The job sucked for the first 2 years and then for another 6 until management got what came around. Now it is what I expected to be years ago and I'm glad I hung in here because I know I'm making a difference.

Shame on you, whoever you are, if you think age is a credible reason to hire or not to hire. That's illegal. When I came to my current job I was a little over 60, and now I'm approaching 66. I plan to retire at the end of this month, as that was my aim: retire at 65 IF I CAN AFFORD IT. My financial guru says I can afford it, and I have so many plans on what I could be doing with my time, that now seems right. I want to do consulting on codes and code compliance, do some instructing [hopefully with ICC approval/accreditation], design houses, make quilts, and find time to do the arts and music that I love. Retirement from one job, but not to the rocking chair. My Dad told me that retiring to the rocking chair was a fast track to the grave. I believe him. I've seen it happen, and it's not for me. Activity is what keeps you young and alive. Carry on, grasshoppers!

: = :

Carol,

You're not going to leave us here are you ?.......Just because

you're switching careers doesn't mean that you will not

continue to be a regular contributor on here does it ? :eek:

: = :

Do a ride along with the B.O. or inspector. You can not only pick their brain a little but you can see a few job sites and see if they are serious about enforcing codes or if they are too buddy buddy with the contractors.....and always update your resume or you will forget dates and other important information.

Question. If your department will not pay for certifications how is there a career ladder? My jurisdiction encourages bettering yourself with incentives. The career ladder is based on certifications among other things and all ICC certs that are passed are reimbursed. Provides motivation to better yourself which in in turn will better the department.

"Question. If your department will not pay for certifications how is there a career ladder?"

There is not much of a career ladder. When the BO retires I can apply for the job. I have gotten certs and experience that more than quilifies me for BO position.

Our County does not promote from within very often. Mostly they hire someone from outside and have the people below them train them.

I continue to work on certs for my own personal development and I would like to think that my certs will pay off with a future job.

I would agree that there is not a big ladder in the inspection business. Having been under the bus a few times I know this. I quit a job I was at for 25 years. Some may think big money I left behind. Well I had enough of the political BS. There was no ladder just a shaft to hell. LOL so it is up to you all to choose. I love what I do and perhaps work to much. Some days I think maybe I should toss the code books in the trash and fish for a living. :D

= = : = =

"Some days I think maybe I should toss the code books in the trash and fish for a living.:grin:
I would most hardily disagree with you **RJJ**......It isbecause of people like you and your passion that greatly

improves the inspection career field.....I will also agree

that there isn't much of a career ladder in this industry.

Lots of political BS for sure, but I believe, ...by & large,

that we enjoy what we do.....If those elected officials

would just let us do what we are trained to do!

D`OH !! :D

= = : = =

= = =

Next Question: You have been employed "in the codes" for

awhile now..........Think that you have a pretty good understanding

of the actual codes themselves, ...somewhat savvy on the

political end as well, ...can perform the research to look for

that lost nuggett that just keeps troubling you and on and on

and on.

You see that others are coming behind you to start their

careers as a code official [ RE: Inspector, Code Official, FCO,

Plans Examiner, Zoning Director, other ].

If you could pass on 2 or 3 points of [ hard learned ] wisdom

to the juniors, what would you say to them [ that is

considering that they may actually listen to you ] ?

Yeah, ...that's a BIG maybe ! :eek:

= = =

1. Don't jump directly to a specific code section. Always know the charging language of a codes that direct you to use that section.

2. Remember what the big print taketh away the little print giveth back. In other words read the exceptions and footnotes.

3. Don't be afraid to admit you do not know the answer or that you where wrong with an answer.

north star said:
= = =Next Question: If you could pass on 2 or 3 points of [ hard learned ] wisdom

to the juniors, what would you say to them [ that is

considering that they may actually listen to you ] ?

Yeah, ...that's a BIG maybe ! :eek:

= = =

1. Concerning the political environments: It sometimes takes a lot of time and patience to promulgate good laws and administrative policy . . . especially to replace established and badly outdated bad laws or administrative policy. Sometimes you just have to wait for your opponent to retire or die.

2. Do not become angry if people do not eagerly respond to a correction notice. Be a good and polite educator first, then a firm executive having authority when required. If you are not used to having a position of authority and power, it will serve you well to quietly remember it at time where emotions get loud.

3. Sometimes, when driving to an out of town relative's house to pick up your granddaughter, you will see a sign on back of an eighteen wheeler advertising the potential income of a truck driver, and wonder why you are working for such low pay. I cannot offer any advice on dealing with this.