• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Yurt and outhouse

phillier937

We recently discovered a yurt and outhouse (about 5' from the property line) being run as a "rustic off the grid" bed and breakfast. Zoning is looking into unlawful accessory structures and we've also contacted the health department regarding the outhouse. Code doesn't seem to allow regulating a yurt since it appears to be 400 SF. It does have a fire box and they provide a camp stove.

This is not in the country - this is in the middle of the city.

What would you do?

PXL_20220928_113329204.jpg. yurt interior.jpg

What size and use is exempted from permit requirements in the city?

Here is what we have from the CBC:
One-story detached accessory buildings used as tool and storage sheds, shade structures, pump houses, and similar uses, provided the gross floor area does not exceed 120 square feet, the height does not exceed 12 feet, and the maximum roof projection does not exceed 24 inches.

The CRC:
One-story detached accessory structures, provided that the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet.

The outhouse is just ridiculous and could potentially get them in front of a judge. "Well your Honor, you see it's like this....they dug a hole in the back yard and they're filling it with urine and shlt"

That's thirty days of bunking with roommates in a bedroom/bathroom. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included....enjoy your stay.

Last edited:
Build a taller fence. Strictly enforce health codes for the outhouse. What do they do about water (and drainage) for washing?

I think I may be misinterpreting the codes. Our State commercial building code recently added an amendment excepting "primative transient lodging structures.... not over 400 SF" to 101.2 scope which I incorrectly assume applied universally. It just applies to the commercial code which would kick if over to the Residential code which has no exception. Thanks for the tips.

In the OBC amendments yurts have been defined as structures.

TRANSIENT LODGING STRUCTURE. A single dwelling unit structure held out to the public for lodging of no more than twenty transient occupants. Examples may include, but are not limited to, cabins, cottages, bungalows, yurts, and chalets

I probably wouldn't care if we're for private use in someone's back yard. It became different story when they are using it as a bnb use and their explanation for sanitation and an outhouse next to the neighbor's property.

The listing says: "Guests will use the cute outhouse with composting toilet during the duration of their stay." What's wrong with a composting toilet? How is it "rude"? Pretty common in RVs and on boats.

The listing says: "Guests will use the cute outhouse with composting toilet during the duration of their stay." What's wrong with a composting toilet? How is it "rude"? Pretty common in RVs and on boats.
Well then, I didn’t read the listing. The composting toilet is a move(ment) up from a hole in the ground….depending on the outdoor temperature. When it gets cold out it becomes a movement above ground….sort of a fancy pail.

Oh and my boat came with an ocean.

Last edited: