• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Zoning Officer?

Uncle Bob

I haven't run into this before. After I started work; of course; I was informed that I would also be the Zoning Officer. In addition to being the Building Inspector; any of you the Zoning Officer?

It's a shame that a person can't find a job just being an inspector anymore. Guess I should not complain; when people can't find a job at all.

Oh, well, :)

Uncle Bob

Do you control the red zone or the white zone?????

Male announcer: The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the red zone.

Female announcer: The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the red zone.

Male announcer: [later] The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the white zone.

Female announcer: No, the white zone is for loading of passengers and there is no stopping in a RED zone.

Male announcer: The red zone has always been for loading and unloading of passengers. There's never stopping in a white zone.

Female announcer: Don't you tell me which zone is for loading, and which zone is for stopping!

Male announcer: Listen Betty, don't start up with your white zone **** again.

[Later]

Male announcer: There's just no stopping in a white zone.

Female announcer: Oh really, Vernon? Why pretend, we both know perfectly well what this is about. You want me to have an abortion.

Male announcer: It's really the only sensible thing to do, if its done safely. Therapeutically there's no danger involved.

[first lines]

Male announcer: The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a red zone.

Female announcer: The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a red zone.

Uncle, yeah it happened to me. All of a sudden I've got staff reports to prepare and 2 more night meetings every month with the plan commission and zba. That was 4 years ago......now....I'm the building inspector, zoning officer, fire marshal, permit clerk, asst. engineer,

director of aviation (small airport), asst. liqour commissioner, asst. city attorney,..........not catching dogs....yet.

One paycheck.......Pay freeze the last three years.......more responsibility every day.......but, I'm employed....and grateful.

Okay...Get ready! Last AHJ I worked for I was building inspector, code enforcement (junk trash weeds cars) zoning officer and liason, board of appeals liason, over building maintenance, over animal control, public works assistant......I'm sure there were more..oh yeah flood plain admin.

And yes there are just building inspector only positions. I have one working for me. Don't do anything but building inspections (combination).

When I started here I felt like I was on vacation!!!

Hang in there..all the different hats will make the job more interesting..

What mule said. One stop shopping. The upside is that once you're established it is difficult to let you go.

Zoning officer,code official,building inspector,code enforcement,land developement,sewage enforcement and to think 2 weeks ago ask if I would be willing to study to take the test to run the sewer treatment plant ok I do work with the plant operator now but not to that capacity. Well talk about cutting the budget last winter plowed snow as well but at least I have a stable job even if I can't remember what my job is anymore.

Same as Mule here. In one jurisdiction, in addition to that I was also the unofficial assistant city administrator, assistant IT guy, gis guy, and autocad guy. Sometimes I also helped with utility billing and meter reading. But like everyone else said, at least I'm employed.

I feel your pain, UB. ;)

Building inspector, planning assistant, nuisance abatement, code enforcement, sign enforcement, fence & hedge enforcement, researcher (collectives, dispensaries, or co-ops anyone?).....................plus whatever else the boss deems necessary.

Can't complain, boss is busier than a one armed paperhanger. No raise in a few years but at least I have a job. :)

Sue, in sunny chilly CA

Aren't the little one horse towns’ fun! At least you gain a LOT of experience.

Worst job!!! Animal control.....people sure do love their animals! They'll shoot you because you are chasing their kid biting Chihuahua

Mule said:
Aren't the little one horse towns’ fun! At least you gain a LOT of experience.Worst job!!! Animal control.....people sure do love their animals! They'll shoot you because you are chasing their kid biting Chihuahua
Oh don't I know it! The guy prior to me was also animal control. When they hired me they had already split the two jobs so my first couple years here were part time.

As to dogs, my favorite article from a few years back was the one where the poor Fremont, CA police officer got savaged by a pack of chihuahuas. Seems he was chasing a truant and the kid let the dogs out when the officer reached the door.

Sue, in crazy CA

I knew there was a catch to some of those jobs. Glad I stay in review and inspection part of the dept.

But what the future holds could be more job titles added to the list.

CRAP! I guess I should quit whining about chasing down out-of-town owners that won't repaint their garage that backs up to someone elses property. (true story)

"UB you should have put your glasses on and read the fine print first

"and all other duties as assigned" :razz:

"

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are..........

LMAO :D

Like I said; at least I have a job; and it keeps me current with the codes.

Ya'll are the best; I came here wearing my good work shoes and found some people with no shoes; as the saying goes.

I'm still p i s s ed at being surprised after three long interviews; where I negotiated the Mayor's best moves off; and she still pulled one over on me. Told me about my other hat (Zoning Officer) three days after I started.

The interviews went; we need you; we want you; we will pay you more; and she snookered me. Well, Good for her. :D

Thanks,

Uncle Bob

Sorry to hear that Uncle Bob.

I to was Hoodwinked once and I will NEVER be Hoodwinked again.

Code Enforcement SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jobsaver,

The Mayor is good ole gal; and I like her spunk. She's a fighter and hard headed; just like me. We will eventually become a good team; after the blood dries; lol.

Fatboy, I've always been pretty independent. I never take a job that I can't do and do well; and, when I get that old, "other duties as assigned" crap; it's usually, only a day or so, before they get the "two weeks notice" slapped on their desk; that is if I'm in a good mood. :D

However, like I said; I like this ladies spirit.

Uncle Bob

Relax, unkie - local zoning could be the easiest part of the job. My plan review begins with the local law, and proceeds to construction details after the use is determined to be OK zoning-wise. My most-used remark this week - "I can't approve it, but the zoning board can."

There is probably an appeals board, to provide relief from your "too strict" application of the zoning law. Stand the applicant up in front of the zoning board and let them do thier job.

Still, trying to keep peace in some neighborhoods is..... problematic some days.

Mac,

" Relax, unkie - local zoning could be the easiest part of the job. "

For some reason; here, zoning is the part that keeps everything from getting done. Sorry, I left out the best part; She is a lawyer; and has a tendence to micro-manager. Every detail must be explained and permits must be initialed by her before they are allowed to be issued.

She really has the city's interest at heart, is a very smart lady, and is a hard worker; but, has been bamboozled by former employees. I need to gain her confidence and trust; and then I'll be able to put things in order.

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator: