• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Zoning Officer?

Well then, maybe the local zoning isn't working the way the elected officials and population wish it would. If it is really obstructing progress (in the form of business & construction activity, nieghborhood protection, or whatever) then it could be time for a review and update. We are in the middle of a zoning code update here and it has focused a lot of constructive debate and interest.

My mayor is a college and high school sports referee - she is comfortable with the enforcement of rules which helps.....

I'm going to get on my pitty pot and ride it around the room tonight; so if your not interested in reading someone having a hissy fit. STOP HERE!

Day Six,

I've met "Do you know who I am" four times already; and have been threatened with bodily harm twice; in only six days on the job. Everything seems to be going well; lmao.

The first week, two homebuilders (on seperate days) came in for a building permit; and, requested a footing inspection at the same time they asked for the permit.

Nobody; and I mean NOBODY; here has ever heard of requiring anchor bolts in residential framing. Prominent home builder; "I don't care what your code says; we don't do anchor bolts in this State; and we ain't going to start now! I've built hundreds of homes in this State for 27 years; and never used anchor bolts; or seen any other builder use them!"

(Are anchor bolts required in residential 1&2 family dwellings, for sill plates where ya'll are; or is this just a Texas thing; or have I just lost my mind? I'm seriously starting to doubt myself.)

What do you mean by "a sleeve is required where drain lines pass through or under a footing?" "What's a sleeve? We don't do that here." Heard that three times last week.

House slab inspection; "What's a vapor barrier?"

Rebar in slab. "What do you mean by a chair? We just pull it up while we are pouring the concrete."

Stormwater Officer must inspect every property for drainage; including interior remodel permits; before a permit is issued.

Today; Call for slab inspection; of a large shed (plans and permit required) which is fine. Still digging footing when I arrived; "Call me when it is finished, Ok?" Answer "Sure, sorry, we thought Duffus was still working here." Called for inspection again. Slab rebar is laying on ground; " You need chairs to hold the rebar in place during concrete pour." Calls boss man; "He's bringing us some chairs for the rebar". Me; "Ok, call me when it's ready for inspection and I'll come back." No call for about two hours; so, I drive by and OOOPS, concrete truck is on site and pouring. "I thought it would be ok as long as we got the chairs."

In the office today; "Here is a request for a business license." Me; "Is there a change of occupancy?" Nice Lady; "No, Duffus always did the business licenses." Me; "OK, thank you very much."

Fellow office worker; "Are you going to fail any inspections?" Me; "Once they understand the code requirements and that code compliance is required; most likely; why?" Answer; "There hasn't been a red tag or re-inspection fee, in this town in the last four years; so, we were all wondering." I think there is an office pool. I wonder how much a bet costs.

Have a nice day, :D

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
(Are anchor bolts required for sill plates where ya'll are; or is this just a Texas thing; or have I just lost my mind? I'm seriously starting to doubt myself.)
Yep at 32 inches on center. No 6 foot spacing here

MLC,

I have done some research; and, have found that most other major and mid-size municipalites in this State (not my city, yet), have amended the anchor bolt requirements and are allowing;

3 inch nails to be nailguned into the exterior wall plates, two (2) each at 16 inches on center in lieu of anchor bolt requirements.

I'm sure the homebuilders association has a hand in this. ;)

Uncle Bob

After reading UB's saga, I am suddenly EXTREMELY THRILLED to work in northern Illinois...amendments here are MORE stringent, not less...for now...

Zoning has been quite a learning curve for me too, as I was likewise blessed.

Building codes by comparison are so cut and dried, so technical and measurable.

UB all I can say is WOW! You've got your work cut out for you! Had the same thing when I came here 7 years ago. The permit technician had been here for several years and stated......you've written more red tags in the 1st month than the other inspector did the whole time I was here!!

Good luck! Go get em!

UB,

If the Mayor looks like jar's avatar no wonder you took the job! If not ask for a new contract!

Don't forget you have to stuff water bills too!

pc1