• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Please check my ADA restroom layout

Michael.L

I'm trying to layout a single occupant ADA restroom that's as compact as possible within the following constraints:

Requirements:
  • The toilet must be mounted against the back wall.
  • Narrow width (left-right) takes precedence over depth (front-back).

Preferences:
  • The toilet shall be wall-hung.
  • The entry door shall swing inward.

ADA_Restroom_A.png

Notes:
  1. The double wall at the top is the plumbing chase area; in addition to piping, it allows for the carrier for the wall-hung toilet.
  2. Yes, that image of the toilet is really a bidet. There were no wall-hung toilets in the symbol library.
  3. I've selected a length of the toilet as 25" because I've seen dimensions for wall-hung toilets that are 24.5" in length. But I haven't picked out a specific toilet or lavatory at this time.
  4. The paper towel dispenser and waste receptacle will be recessed in the middle of the right-hand wall, beyond the swing of the door.
Questions:
  1. Is the door hung too close to the right-hand wall?
  2. Is the 32" door opening obstructed by the thickness of the in-swung door? Doors are standard sizes, so I can't imagine that a 32" door doesn't meet ADA requirements. But maybe we're required to upsize to a 36" door.
  3. Will the grab bar on the left-hand side wall be considered as interfering with the clear space in front of the lavatory?

1. No (assuming you meant the hinged side of the door), but there is not enough maneuvering clearance on the latch side of the door--18 inches required for a front approach.
2. Yes. The clear width of a door is measured between the face of the door (when opened to a 90-degree position) and the stop on the latch side--your drawing shows it being measured between the main frame channels.
3. Yes. Only the clearance of the water closet is permitted to overlap the grab bars.

RLGA, thank you for your assistance.
1. No (assuming you meant the hinged side of the door), but there is not enough maneuvering clearance on the latch side of the door--18 inches required for a front approach.
I did mean the hinged side. Can you explain where the 18" of clearance is supposed to be? Is it between the latch side and the lavatory (measured horizontally in the picture)? Or does the 18" extend outward from the door towards the back wall (measured vertically in the picture)?

2. Yes. The clear width of a door is measured between the face of the door (when opened to a 90-degree position) and the stop on the latch side--your drawing shows it being measured between the main frame channels.
That sucks because, AFAIK, industry practice for sizing standard doors is based on the distance between the inside frame opening. So do people typically use 34" or 36" doors for ADA bathrooms?

3. Yes. Only the clearance of the water closet is permitted to overlap the grab bars.
So can I just move the imaginary 30" x 48" lavatory clear space rectangle away from the wall by 3"? Or do I need to move the lavatory 3" to the right also?

RLGA, thank you for your assistance.

I did mean the hinged side. Can you explain where the 18" of clearance is supposed to be? Is it between the latch side and the lavatory (measured horizontally in the picture)? Or does the 18" extend outward from the door towards the back wall (measured vertically in the picture)?
upload_2018-5-10_23-59-49.png

That sucks because, AFAIK, industry practice for sizing standard doors is based on the distance between the inside frame opening. So do people typically use 34" or 36" doors for ADA bathrooms?
Yes, sometimes it does.

So can I just move the imaginary 30" x 48" lavatory clear space rectangle away from the wall by 3"? Or do I need to move the lavatory 3" to the right also?
Surprisingly, neither the ADA Standards nor ANSI A117.1 state that the clear floor space, when situated for a forward approach, must be centered on the lavatory. The exceptions for parallel approaches do state that the clear floor space must be centered. Logic would dictate that the clear floor space for a forward approach would also be centered, but there is nothing in writing to back that up.

Thanks again, Ron.

So the wider the door, the wider that clear space must be. Ouch.

I guess if I want the most compact room, I'll need to change the door to swing outward, rather than inward. I hope someone doesn't get smacked in the face as they're trying to enter the restroom while someone else is simultaneously trying to exit.

Does this work?

ADA_Restroom_B.png
No. The 2009 ANSI standard provides that the door maneuvering clearance shall not include knee and toe clearance in accordance to 404.2.3

The reason the clear floor space is not required to be centered on the forward approach to the lavatory is because construction may not always allow for the tailpiece horizontal drain configuration to provide the full depth of knee clearance on one side.

Last edited:
Is there a closer and latch on that door?
No closer. But I've never heard of a restroom without a latch. How else would you have privacy, especially in a public setting? Even bathrooms in private homes have latches on doors.

Or am I misunderstanding what a latch is in this context?

I'm trying to layout a single occupant ADA restroom that's as compact as possible within the following constraints:

Requirements:
  • The toilet must be mounted against the back wall.
  • Narrow width (left-right) takes precedence over depth (front-back).

Preferences:
  • The toilet shall be wall-hung.
  • The entry door shall swing inward.
There's a layout where the lavatory is recessed in the wall next to the water closet. The below illustration is an example but not exact.
toilet1.gif

Do you need to show the vertical grab bar on the long wall.

4-inch maximum on hinge side of door.

Do you need to show the vertical grab bar on the long wall.
My understanding is that the vertical grab bar is an ANSI requirement, not an ADA requirement. I'll check with my local building department to see which code will apply to our location.[/quote]

That said, doesn't the vertical grab bar go on the left-hand side wall above the 42" horizontal grab bar? I don't see how it will interfere with the clearances shown.

4-inch maximum on hinge side of door.
What are you referring to here? The only requirement like this I'm aware of is:

Projections into the required clear opening width of up to 4 inches are allowed between 34 inches and 80 inches above the floor. Since operating hardware is required to be mounted between 34 inches and 48 inches above the floor, hardware is not taken into account unless it projects more than 4 inches into the required 32-inch clear opening. Note that NFPA 101 limits these 4-inch projections to the hinge side of the opening, between 34 inches and 48 inches above the floor, solely for the purpose of accommodating panic hardware or fire exit hardware.

No closer. But I've never heard of a restroom without a latch. How else would you have privacy, especially in a public setting? Even bathrooms in private homes have latches on doors. Or am I misunderstanding what a latch is in this context?
Is there a closer and latch on that door?
What Steve is alluding to is.... if closer and latch are provided.... you have additional clearances required

the health department around here (not CO) requires a closer on all toilet room doors in a food service facility. A closer with a latch will require bigger door clearance. A closer without a latch will not.

the health department around here (not CO) requires a closer on all toilet room doors in a food service facility. A closer with a latch will require bigger door clearance. A closer without a latch will not.
In this context, is a closer something as simple as this?
door-closer-500x500.jpg

Or are we talking about push-button operated automatic doors?

Also note:
If you design to bare minimums you are most likely asking to be sued, by doing so you are not doing your clients any favors. Bare minimums, or maximums, in construction are a lawsuit waiting to happen. If you design for FRP panels and your client changes it, after the walls are constructed, to tile, you are screwed; tile walls can add two inches to your room.

You are doing a disservice to your client.

In this context, is a closer something as simple as this?
door-closer-500x500.jpg

Or are we talking about push-button operated automatic doors?

As alluded to in Steve's post, a door with a closer and latch, requires 12" in non swing side.

Are you licensed? is there a licensed person involve in this project?
I hope you have E&O iinsurance.

Last edited:
Plan-2C: 2010 Standards Minimum with In-Swinging Door

The room size is 7'-0" wide by 6'-6" deep. The problem for me with this design is the width. I'm trying to keep the width to a minimum. Even if I put the door on the side wall next to the lavatory, the room is still 1.5 feet wider than what I have above.