• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Please check my ADA restroom layout

I am the business owner of the cafe where this restroom is to be built. I do have experience with commercial construction (industrial). But haven't had to deal with ADA before.

Don't worry, I will be retaining an architect to review everything prior to construction. However, I need to plan our space beforehand so I know what we can do with the limited space available. This is just part of my pre-planning research. I want to ensure I understand the applicable codes.

"Duh"? a business owner and you are not aware of the ADA"?
You should have started this exercise by first going to the Access Boards website. It is all explained there in easy to read graphic format.

Hello forum
this thread has been extremely helpful because I'm designing an almost simuliar layout for a customer.
Questions
1.So was his final design acceptable?

Only difference is my rough framing is 63 inches wide and 9ft 3"long
but same layout of wallmount toilet,sink and door placement

2.Is 63 inches to narrow if the 60inch circle goes under the grab bar?
63 rough allows for 1inch total of sheetrock and tile per side making it finish at 61"

I made the room longer because I thougtht the 60inch circle was not allowed under the sink according to another site?
only thing the circle goes under at the moment is the grab bar
All this is very confusing but luckily I can move walls if need be

thanks for your help
jim

Be careful, we are dealing with finish face dimensions, not rough.

Be careful, we are dealing with finish face dimensions, not rough.
Sinks & Faucets: 2010 ADA updates require the toilet to be within a 60-inch clear space, and the sink must be installed beyond that area. Also, sinks are frequently installed too high, over 34 inches, especially base cabinet models (standard base cabinets are 36 inches high so special orders might be needed). Knee clearance that is at least 27 inches high, 30 inches wide, and 19 inches deep must be provided underneath sinks.

34" is to top of sink rim if a dropin or top of counter if an undermount or castin. Knee space must remain open (no doors).

I am not sure where this project is to be located but if you are under the ANSI A117.1 or 2017 ICC A117.1 The turning circle for new work has been increased to 67" in diameter. The T shaped space has also been increased. Also in CA some plan checkers may want you to provide additional toe clearances per 11B-604.8.1.2 that would increase the 60" width of the room to 66" in width where the walls come all the way to the floor and do not provide toe clearances below the enclosure. This code section is typically only for toilet compartments, but I can see where this would come in to play on these minimal rooms.

Also if you are trying to serve the entire space with this single RR you may need to include a urinal in the room. check minimum plumbing fixture requirements.