• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

Were so anal, pun intended, I'd rather have TP when on the throne than not, and could care less if the paper dispenses at the precise measurement from the floor based off some funded government research paper from a CA university or where ever the measurements come from.

ICE's wide angle lens makes the horizontal grab bar look like it's about six foot long and wheres the vertical bar at?

Not in the pic, but I bet the paper cowboy hats are at the proper height!

This must be a men's bathroom.

The TP dispenser is within 1 1/2" of the grab bar.

(The toilet brush in the corner violates the clear floor space requirement.)

The TP dispenser is within 1 1/2" of the grab bar.

(The toilet brush in the corner violates the clear floor space requirement.)
I was in two medical offices today here in California, both had normal recessed toilet paper dispensers recessed directly behind the grab bar, and no verticals.

BTW, are you guys going to go around making sure people don't put toilet brushes on the floor? People need them you know with our stupid low-flow toilets, or just leave crap all over the handicap toilets, serve them right.

Gosh conarb you are such a curmudgeon. Every large enterprise has some lousy employees. I have seen carpenters sleeping like a baby. In ran an outfit with 150 workers. Ten wouldn't show up... Ten were always late....another ten I wished would just go away. Ten talked more than they worked. Ten made enough mistakes to keep ten busy fixing them. The remaining ninety got a lot of work done.

What makes you think that anyplace else is so much better than that?

c
Gosh conarb you are such a curmudgeon. Every large enterprise has some lousy employees. I have seen carpenters sleeping like a baby. In ran an outfit with 150 workers. Ten wouldn't show up... Ten were always late....another ten I wished would just go away. Ten talked more than they worked. Ten made enough mistakes to keep ten busy fixing them. The remaining ninety got a lot of work done.

What makes you think that anyplace else is so much better than that?
Tiger I can fire anybody who fails to perform, or just not hire them, if it's DMV or a building inspection I have to hire government employees, I have to license my cars at DMV and have to get my plans approved and buldings inspected by government employees, like it or not.

There is an old saying: "For a happy, healthy life, don't deal with doctors, lawyers, or government employees".

c
Tiger I can fire anybody who fails to perform, or just not hire them, if it's DMV or a building inspection I have to hire government employees, I have to license my cars at DMV and have to get my plans approved and buldings inspected by government employees, like it or not.

There is an old saying: "For a happy, healthy life, don't deal with doctors, lawyers, or government employees".
There’s a difference between people that work for me and people that work with me. Those people worked with me.

Were so anal, pun intended, I'd rather have TP when on the throne than not, and could care less if the paper dispenses at the precise measurement from the floor based off some funded government research paper from a CA university or where ever the measurements come from.
ICE's wide angle lens makes the horizontal grab bar look like it's about six foot long and wheres the vertical bar at?
Not in the pic, but I bet the paper cowboy hats are at the proper height!
This must be a men's bathroom.

Location of TP is based on reach distance.

Vertical Bar Not required in CA.

There’s a difference between people that work for me and people that work with me. Those people worked with me.

Then you should have quit or stayed and been a whistleblower, that's why I've always owned my own business so I can control what goes on. I've told you before about a building inspector getting rotated out of the district where I was building, he warned m about the nit-picker I might get by telling me their names.

I say there's nothing wrong with that installation you picture above, did you write it up and if so which section did you cite?

How did CA get out of requiring the 18-inch vertical grab bar?

Does CA allow the horizontal grab bar to be continuous around the back corner of the wall?

This TP is for the inspectors that conarb runs into!

hemorrhoids-concept-toilet-paper-as-grater-d-49921613.jpg

This is at a chain drugstore. And they wonder why they get sued?

ANSI 117.1 and CBC
Spacing. The space between the wall and the grab bar shall be 1-1/2 inches. The space between the grab bar and projecting objects below and at the ends shall be 1- 1/2 inches minimum. The space between the grab bar and projecting objects above shall be 12 inches minimum.

IN this case there needs to be a 1-1/2 inch space between the TP holder and the rail
Some need to grab the bar and slide along it.upload_2018-8-7_9-47-22.png

Last edited:
How did CA get out of requiring the 18-inch vertical grab bar?
Does CA allow the horizontal grab bar to be continuous around the back corner of the wall?
This TP is for the inspectors that conarb runs into!

hemorrhoids-concept-toilet-paper-as-grater-d-49921613.jpg
Some in CA felt the 18-inch vertical grab bar, could be a hazard with wet hands.
It may come in the future.

Some in CA allow the continuous rail. Not prohibited by CA code, but not really code compliant.

Mark, thanks for putting up with me, you a wealth of information, appreciate the info.

I knew what ICE was citing, the 1.5-inch spacing between the rail and the TP dispenser top.

Isn't that nit-picking?

I've been told that I am nit-picking when I require foam insulation to be covered. When I require a handrail on stairs. When I require a sprinkler head to be moved or another head added due to an obstruction. And yes, when I require the pipes serving a lavatory in an accessible washroom to be covered.

Apparently I've become quite good at picking nits.

It's not really nit-picking, it comes to an inspector naturally. Your given an ADA cut and paste set of measurements from the Architects plans, that he stole from another set of plans that has been around from the Johnson administration, I think.

When you go out to do an inspection everything meets code except that TP dispenser, now what do you do? In ICE's concrete jungle, some "ol" boy's gonna sit on that pot and when he gets up he'll slip because he can't get his size 18 ring fingers around that pipe, now the lawyers go to town, but that's CA. The attorney's are gonna ask for those there inspection reports and ICE did his job "nit picking" or we call it "inspickin!"

Why does the Architect go to all that trouble "cuttin" and "pastin" that ADA stuff on the plans if know one can read em but us inspeckers? Okay he caught the dude, the problem I see, he can't close that permit out and he's gotta go back and do a re-inspeckin, which would chap me. And probably chaps ICE, except I think ICE is a camera buff. I think he's doin a documentary when he retires.

By the way I got here and there was only five outstanding permits in the file which leads me to thinking, the previous inspecker closed em out without doin a re-inspeckin. We had an apartment fire here and that lawyer was asking me what the other inspeckers report said. I looked down at my Attorney's new Italian loafers and said looks like it sez, "Okie dokie" to me, I exclaimed can't you read Inspecker print?

Spit!
ting!

conarb, you asked!:D

Spit!
ting!

conarb, you asked!:D

And people keep asking me: "How come it costs so much to build?" I've read of two low income housing projects that are costing $1,000 a foot to build, and that's apparently in addition to land costs, I tell them about apartment projects I built in the 50s and 60s for $6 a square foot and they are still standing, I also paid union wages with full benefits. RIchmond's mayor is Tom Butt, Tom is a FAIA so he knows what things cost:

RICHMOND — Richmond mayor Tom Butt is calling on the city’s biggest companies to foot the bill for a city-sanctioned homeless encampment akin to those in Oakland and Berkeley.

Over the weekend, Butt sent out the request to the companies with the largest amount of employees in Richmond, including Chevron Corporation, Kaiser Permanente, Blue Apron and Costco Wholesale. He asked each of the 10 companies to donate at least $154,000 to establish and operate a managed homeless camp that will serve at least 100 people.

By Monday, he hadn’t gotten any bites, Butt said.

Plans for a city-managed homeless encampment are in the very beginning stages, he said. The idea hasn’t gone before the City Council, and Butt is working to secure the funding first before working out all of the logistics and find a location.

“I’m not saying (the companies) should be paying for it; I’m just saying this is a purely philanthropic thing they can do. It’s not a tax; I’m not trying to compel them to do it, I’m just saying there’s a major problem in the community, and here’s a chance to be part o the solution,” Butt said.

His suggestion for the encampment is to have it be in a place that is “visually isolated from main streets,” but close to transportation and other services, he said in a blog post. A two-acre site could handle at least 100 people, he said.

The site would include water, toilets, hand-washing stations and trash disposal, he said, as well as a “day-room” for dining and one or more cargo containers for storage.

He suggested tents or recreational vehicles be used to house people on the site. Any other structure, he said, would be subject to California Building codes and housing laws.¹

So a FAIA says the only way to house the poor is tents that won't be subject to California Building Codes and Housing Laws.

¹ https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2018/08/02/richmond-mayor-asks-companies-to-pay-for-city-homeless-camp/

Dead flat and no drain. But hey now! it holds water.

30047047558_554435960b_b.jpg

The same crew did this.

42107239470_8a8ed81efb_b.jpg

The point of this picture is the TWO bollards. Nobody installs two.

Last edited:
Just wait, they "maybe-a-coming" in future additions
Shouldn't we be fighting this so even more cost-increasing regulations aren't passed? If this does pass even more multi-family buildings will become non-compliant costing more money to build or remodel driving more people into the streets.