• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Reelection to the ICC Board of Directors

jpranch

Platinum Member
Hey folks, it’s that time again for me to ask for support (not monetary) for reelection to the ICC board of directors. Many of you know me and some may not. I would like to think that I have served you well in the past but that is for you to decide. The ICC Annual Business Meeting is being held in Richmond Virginia in October this year. Here is the link to the webpage for more information: http://media.iccsafe.org/2018_ICC_AnCon/index.html Please be professional with any responses and of course feel free to challenge me and have some fun at my expense. I would also be interested to see who on this forum might be attending? Thanks for your support in the past and hopefully again this year!

Well there goes all my remarks

Good luck, you have represented the I Code community well

Not attending

Thanks cda. Btw, I visited the San Francisco Building Department last week. Quite an operation. Their own 6 story building with approximately 300 employees. Had a great time there!

Well, I'd be lying if I didn't agree. There is that component but it has been my experience that it is a whole lot more than that.

Well, as far as I know I don’t think so. It’s can be quite interesting. There is one possible scenario. I’m serving in a “section” seat. Section-B. So a candidate has to come from that geographical area. This ensures representation across the country. So that no geographic area dominates. You can find this in the ICC bylaws. Then you have your “at large” directors. They can come from anywhere in the country.

Reactions: cda
Ok JP,

You asked for a challenge. What is your position on the code voting process? Are you satisfied with the possibility that the ICC codes can be revised with a handful votes even with cdp access?

Surely the board has discussed this. Most standards these days go through a consensus process. The A117.1 is a consensus code. Why not do more like that?

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you. Surgery on the right knee last Monday. Just now starting to feel a bit human. I would strongly disagree with the idea that the I-Codes are not a consensus code or standard. Quite the opposite. Without question ICC has the most open, transparent, and welcoming code development process hands down. Anybody can participate at no cost. Others cannot make a claim such as this. As far as the number of people voting I don’t think I’ll ever be truly satisfied with the numbers. CDP Access is the absolute first of its kind among SDO’S. We were the first to employ a technology specifically designed to be more inclusive and make access possible from pretty much anywhere in the world. That is anywhere where there is internet. Even with that I certainly wish the numbers were higher. If you look at CP-28 you will see the board established minimum numbers for any given vote. We are well aware of the very low numbers of the past in the late night hours of code hearings that last way to long. One only has to look at the energy code hearings. (Or not) What’s the old saying? You can lead a horse to water? So what is the answer??? I believe in part it is the next generation and beyond. I don’t think these young people today are as interested in sitting in a convention center (barn) for two weeks as much as they might desire to do it all online. We need to be investing heavily in the next generation and engaging them. CDP Access is also growing with states either already using it for their statewide code adoptions or considering it for that use. Most recently the state of Washington is looking to use it for their code adoptions. The thought is that it makes it easier and more accessible for their citizens to participate in the process just like at the national level. So perhaps this will help as well. Anyway, there is my 2 cents and I hope I addressed your questions.