• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Urinal required in a single occupancy toilet for "B" occupancy?

JPohling

Sawhorse
We have a plan checker that is insisting that because the California Plumbing Code table 422.1 indicates that a urinal is required for 1-100 men for a B occupancy that even when a single room occupancy toilet room is allowed to serve both employees and customers that this room also is required to have a urinal.

I cannot find any language or exception to this.

What do you good people think?

I believe he is correct when reviewing the entire table there are occupancies that do not require urinals and occupancies that have different ratios.
Look at footnote 4 where it clarifies urinals are not a substitute for water closets they are in addition to

The IPC puts WC and urinals in the same column and then refers you to this section
419.2 Substitution for water closets.
In each bathroom or toilet room, urinals shall not be substituted for more than 67 percent of the required water closets in assembly and educational occupancies. Urinals shall not be substituted for more than 50 percent of the required water closets in all other occupancies.

I guess I see no real advantage to having a urinal in a single occupancy toilet room in terms of fixture count. Only using one at a time.
Never had this "requirement" enforced before.

* = * = *
" Are troughs still legal? "
I do not believe that they are, because of privacy issues, plus
there aren't any ADA compliant troughs.......Available, Yes !
Legal, No !

* = * = *

How is it that we need to label the single occupancy room gender neutral then
place a gender specific fixture within the room?

Seems like everyone is in agreement that a urinal is a requirement for a single
occupancy toilet room in a B occupancy? It specifically states "one toilet facility".
It does not say "one toilet and a urinal facility".

& = &

JPohling,

IMO, ...the Codes are not [ yet ] synonymous with the current cultural
environment.......In the real world, there is no Gender Neutral
designation !.......Either you is, or you ain't.

& = &

The real question is who believes that the definition of a "single toilet facility" contains a urinal. Other than Palo Alto that is................

! = ! = !

ADAguy,

I am going to have to pull the "I don't know about this stuff" card on you.

If some are both with dual fixtures, (1) Are both sets of [ plbg. ] fixtures

fully operational & capable of fulfilling their intended, ORIGINAL birthed
design, or (2) Are some of the dual fixtures for marketing \ confusion

purposes, or other ? :confused:

! = ! = !

The real question is who believes that the definition of a "single toilet facility" contains a urinal. Other than Palo Alto that is................
The term "single toilet facility" is not defined in the codes, But IMPO a "single toilet facility", that is designed for use by no more than one person at a time, can contain a toilet and urinal. it is just used by one person at a time.

So if you were wanting to remove this requirement, what would change and how could you word it?

Whats the reasoning for this? This is goofy.

A toilet takes care of most users I would think?

What is the use of this facility, a place where alcohol is served? If so local health ordinance may require both.

ADA states that a single-use or family toilet room contains no more than two water closets or one water closet and one urinal. (2010 ADA 213.2.1)