• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Moving of a Home

Bender

Hi all,
I have a pre-app meeting with some homeowners and a large company to discuses the moving of a home. The home in question will be moved about a mile away and set on a new foundation. As this is my first, I would like to reach out and ask how any of you have done this. is there anywhere else to look other then the EBC chapter 13? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

What code edition are you on? Talk to the local inspector and see how they feel about it and what they might require...

It has gotten less restrictive over the years:
2003 IBC
[EB] SECTION 3408 MOVED STRUCTURES
3408.1 Conformance. Structures moved into or within the jurisdiction shall comply with the provisions of this code for new structures.
2012 IEBC
1301.2 Conformance. The building shall be safe for human
occupancy
as determined by the International Fire Code and
the International Property Maintenance Code. Any repair,
alteration, or change of occupancy undertaken within the
moved structure shall comply with the requirements of this
code applicable to the work being performed. Any field-fabricated
elements shall comply with the requirements of the
International Building Code or the International Residential
Code as applicable.

I have done 2 house moves years ago, I treat them like somewhat like a modular or remodeling, if it exists and is not a life hazard leave it alone, if it is opened and expose a problem fix it, all new work has to comply with current code

exactly what the commish said and update the smoke detectors and require them to be interconnected since they make wireless interconnected ones it is not difficult and make sure there are CO detectors also.

thanks for the replies guys.@Steveray we are in the 2015 code cycle, I am the local inspector so discussing this with myself wont get far.

thanks for the replies guys.@Steveray we are in the 2015 code cycle, I am the local inspector so discussing this with myself wont get far.

Why not, does the other person not listen?

Good luck

Not into house moves, but I guess all the utilities at the new site have been looked at.

What will be the end use of the building residential ??? or Other ??

For a Residential Code building you should look at Appendix J of the IRC to guide any necessary repairs or alterations post move.

If this is in California there is a state statute, which controls over the building code, which other than the new foundation does not require that the moved house does not need to be upgraded.

Yes the Home will stay a residence, and is being moved in king county Washington.Thanks JBI i will look at that.

If this is in California there is a state statute, which controls over the building code, which other than the new foundation does not require that the moved house does not need to be upgraded."

Mark, I got lost in the double negative. Can you lead me to the statute? I was under the impression that (unless historic) the building would need to be brought to current standards, including energy compliance.

California Health and Safety Codes Sections 17922.3 and 17958.9 deal with residential buildings and do not require that the moved residential building comply with the current code in all aspects.

This is actually referenced in Division 1 of Chapter 1 of the California Building code for those who read this chapter and check out the referenced statutes.