• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

OptaSoft Building Code Software

JAR, do you use plan review software now and if you do, what issues do you have with the software?

May be interested in electronic plan review software.

JAR, do you use plan review software now and if you do, what issues do you have with the software?

May be interested in electronic plan review software.

I contacted OptaSoft to ask them to place an ad and the offered to have me provide a link here to sell it with a commission in lieu of buying a banner or sponsorship. It is one thing to have a company place an ad and another to actually promote it. I can't try it out because I am all Mac and they only have Windows.

Anyone,
Any suggestions on other plan review software? The OptaSoft looked interesting.

Any idea what the cost would be and annual fees? Guesstimate

OptaSoft innovative software solution provide designers with the capability to both conduct a preliminary IBC code review during the initial phases of a project, and evaluate multiple code options and decisions well before the expense of developing drawings. During preliminary and final reviews, designers are lead through a simple, detailed and well-organized code review that includes references to the actual IBC code sections.

The program analyzes the user's input and renders "Passed" or "Failed" status for decisions, along with the reason for not accepting the provided information. Detailed reports are easily created for submission to the respective permitting authority.

The plans examiner shall be provided with a "road map" of how the designer is using the provisions of the code. The IBC has several different design paths that the design team may take. For example, is the building being designed as a separated occupancy or a non-separated occupancy? If this information is not provided, the plans examiner will not be able to conduct a proper review. Construction plans should also include basic information about the project as it relates to the codes. The plans examiner needs such information to begin the review and understand what is being proposed.

In appreciation of your interest in our technology, OptaSoft would like to offer you a Freeware Edition License and invite you to become one of our many satisfied customers. If you have any further questions, we would be happy to assist you. https://optasoft.com/contactus.html

I contacted OptaSoft to ask them to place an ad and the offered to have me provide a link here to sell it with a commission in lieu of buying a banner or sponsorship. It is one thing to have a company place an ad and another to actually promote it. I can't try it out because I am all Mac and they only have Windows.
Does anyone have any experience with Optasoft software for plan review?

In nut shell: The program analyzes the user's input and renders "Passed" or "Failed" status for decisions, along with the reason for not accepting the provided information. Detailed reports are easily created for submission to the respective permitting authority.

In nut shell: The program analyzes the user's input and renders "Passed" or "Failed" status for decisions, along with the reason for not accepting the provided information. Detailed reports are easily created for submission to the respective permitting authority.

Can you post an example of an analyzes, not an entire plan review, just a little sample

Can you post an example of an analyzes, not an entire plan review, just a little sample

Example: Multi-story Non-separated single use occupancy; Total Building area: 61,200 sf; 3 story building; Type IIIB Construction; 60 feet from grade level to highest height of roof surface; 1st floor: (2)-950 sf coffee/snack bars Group B, 13,700 sf of classrooms Group B, 1,700 sf admin, 3,400 sf offices Group B; 2nd floor: 20,400 sf of offices Group B; 3rd floor: 20,400 sf of offices Group B; NFPA 13 sprinkler system throughout building.

Sample:

Software, Analysis Report- Stair Design Geometry

So it seems more on the plan development side

Than for a plan reviewer

No. It works for both ends. The applicant could submit the digital file with his/her permit application. By doing so, it allows the permitting authority to understand what is being proposed, obtain a COMPLIANCE REVIEW STATUS and save up to 95% of the Architecture plan review time (Building). 5% used to verify the completeness of the Permit Application.

This eliminates the following: "Its taking too long to finish my REVIEW", "I keep receiving 35 pages of deficiencies"...

So, may elminate need for ICC certified reviewers? Allow for use of more "Tech" types?
How long has this product been available? How many departments are using it? Any in CA?

So, may elminate need for ICC certified reviewers? Allow for use of more "Tech" types?
How long has this product been available? How many departments are using it? Any in CA?

While the information analysis presented by OptaSoft software is believed to be correct, the analysis should not be used or relied upon for any specific application without competent examination and verification of its suitability and applicability by code officials, architects, engineers or other licensed professionals. OptaSoft does not intend that the use of software replace the sound judgment of such competent professionals, having experience and knowledge in the field of practice, nor to substitute for the standard of care required of such professionals in interpreting and applying the results of the generated report provided by OptaSoft software.

Ahhhh.....The old "here is a bunch of information that may or may not be correct" approach....I can see where this is a benefit to the designer (good way to check themselves before submitting for review), but not so much for an AHJ.

Ahhhh.....The old "here is a bunch of information that may or may not be correct" approach....I can see where this is a benefit to the designer (good way to check themselves before submitting for review), but not so much for an AHJ.

The software accuracy is 99.99%.

Can you elaborate on why it doesn't benefit an AHJ? I am assuming an AHJ is a Plan Reviewer..

Stlll waiting for answers to my previous questions.

The product had been available since 2003. OptaSoft doesn't have any clients in CA. However, the only entity of which had access out of CA is ICC's Fire Services Activities group in Whittier CA.

So, how many states are using is it? It took Revit 30 years to be accepted.
Have you attempted to cross tie this to Revit?