• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Residential concrete slab help.

Garrett Foster

Garrett
Right now I'm having issues with a 2 week old slab for my house. The GC says all the cracks are acceptable and happen to every slab. Basically I'm looking for any codes for residential concrete.

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Non-structural residential slabs are not covered under the Residential Code. There should have been stress joints cut or tooled into the slab to direct/hide any cracking. Yes, slabs move, but you can attempt to control the movement. Sorry if you are stuck with poor workmanship, that sucks.

Right now I'm having issues with a 2 week old slab for my house. The GC says all the cracks are acceptable and happen to every slab. Basically I'm looking for any codes for residential concrete.

Non-structural residential slabs are not covered under the Residential Code. There should have been stress joints cut or tooled into the slab to direct/hide any cracking. Yes, slabs move, but you can attempt to control the movement. Sorry if you are stuck with poor workmanship, that sucks.
Yeah. I wish I could post pictures. 7 days after the pour cracks were all over, rebar ties above the concrete, and massive amounts of rock showing when they pulled forms off.

Pictures would help. How wide are the cracks? Was there an inspection prior to placing the concrete? Was the soil compacted? Was there just dirt under the slab or was there gravel? Was the concrete deposited directly out of the truck or was it pumped? How about reinforcement...what is it?

Some cracks about an 1/8" some are smaller. It has 3/8" rebar, fill dirt and some sand. I wasnt there for the pad or slab pour so idk about compacting. The concrete was poured directly from the truck. However they had to wait 45 minutes + between trucks.

@ ~ @

Garrett, ...do you have a signed contract with
whomever constructed the foundation, before
the concrete was placed ?.......Is there a jurisdiction
involved in this project ?......Permits ?......Inspections ?

@ ~ @

Some cracks about an 1/8" some are smaller. It has 3/8" rebar, fill dirt and some sand. I wasnt there for the pad or slab pour so idk about compacting. The concrete was poured directly from the truck. However they had to wait 45 minutes + between trucks.
Still recommend:
Xypex Repair for Cracks & Faulty Construction Joints
Repair Procedures
Cracks & Faulty Construction Joints
https://www.xypex.com/products/installations/repairs/cracks-faulty-construction-joints

@ ~ @

Garrett, ...do you have a signed contract with
whomever constructed the foundation, before
the concrete was placed ?.......Is there a jurisdiction
involved in this project ?......Permits ?......Inspections ?

@ ~ @
We have a contract that says they will do everything to code. We are out of city limits so there are no permits.

$ ~ $

What Code ?.......Inspected by anyone before the
concrete was placed ?

$ ~ $

# ~ # ~ #

Does your contract have provisions for unacceptable
work ?.......Has anyone with professional experience
& credentials inspected & evaluated this foundation ?
Did anyone with plumbing experience test & inspect
the plumbing system before concrete was placed ?

So, no one actually inspected the work before placing
the concrete ?........What Code was supposed to be
followed ?.....Do you know of, or have a really good
and experienced construction attorney ?

# ~ # ~ #

It's outside city limits so I have no idea what code has to be followed. The slab has been inspected and found faulty due to moisture issues and will require resurfacing and moisture protection. There was no inspection prior to concrete other than the concrete guy. They cut control joints over a week after the pour. Which I said I didnt want.

$ ~ $ ~ $

Garrett, ...depending upon your circumstances
& budget, ...I would shop around and find a
professional structural engineer who is experienced
in evaluating conditions such as yours........Have
them provide a professional evaluation & any
recommendations for: (1) a compliant repair, or

(2) to be removed and start over........They should
also provide all applicable Codes & Standards
that are legal in your location.

$ ~ $ ~ $