• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

More Than One Service Disconnect Residential

jar546

Forum Coordinator
How many of you see more than one service disconnect for a house? This is normally seen with the use of Automatic Transfer Switches rated as service entrance equipment for use with a generator but his has been used before for larger services on high-end homes with 400 or 600A services.

Once I get some answers I will continue the reason behind the post.

I have seen it done once on an existing single family home converted to a duplex then converted back to a single family.

The POCO was okay with two exiting meters on the house. I was not so keen with it, but the house would require additional electrical work to by-pass the second meter. The homeowner was okay even after I told him he's going to get two bills with two charges for having the additional service.

Other than this situation I have not seen two meters on a single family or have any large homes that have required two meters. Out buildings with a separate meter I have seen a numerous times.

Maybe not the answers your looking for?

I'm not talking about separate services with separate meters, I am talking about separate disconnects, such as a 320 continuous or 400A or 600A service.

2015 IRC E3601.7 Maximum number of disconnects. The service
disconnecting means shall consist of not more than six
switches or six circuit breakers mounted in a single enclosure
or in a group of separate enclosures. [230.71(A)]