• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What happens if a city approves a deck that seems to violate fire codes

In my opinion, no. It is of my opinion it is a deck.

The major issues are setbacks which are generally ZONING. The building code generally increases the fire ratings the closer you get to property lines, not that you can't built up to them. If you couldn't built up to property lines you wouldn't have duplexes, townhouses, ect.

Unfortunately your situation is mostly going to be zoning and local, not building or fire code violation.

In the city PD zoning (since we're R2PD) it says:

(i) Notwithstanding the above provision, if the development has subdivided one-family lots which abut other parcels of land, the specific zone regulations shall apply for rear and side yard setbacks on the subdivided lots. The required setback area shall be landscaped.

Since we have separate one family lots, then the R2 zoning takes precedent which means that the deck can't project more than 12 feet or be any closer to the side property lines than 3 feet. Also, there can't be more than 40% lot coverage of accessory structures. Currently 98% of his lot is covered with structures.

Remember the A/C. If I am correct and there is a compressor under the lumber not a patio...not a balcony....well then there's bound to be a few code violations with that.

What would these code violations come under?

Might by wrong ... but going back to the beginning and reading again ... it is attached to the house of its owner, and comes close to the prop line. Doesn’t cross any prop lines or attach to any structures of neighbors.

Yes - it's attached to his house but spans the width of the lot. There is no setback at all.

1. Exceeds lot coverage
2. Lacks rear & sideyard setbacks
3. Deck exceeds allowed height
4. Lacks permit?
(anything else?)

1. Exceeds lot coverage
4. Lacks permit?
(anything else?)

ADAguy - Item 1: Are you referring to exceeding maximum impervious coverage or exceeding the allowable accessory structure size. This might make two separate violations.

So would I find these in the zoning chapter or is there a whole other world out there that I have yet to discover?
It is two codes....Mechanical code and Electrical code. The mechanical code for the clearance I mentioned earlier and the electrical code for working space at the disconnect. These are minor issues but it might surprise the building dept. to hear you mention this.

First you must verify that there is an A/C compressor involved.

Mech: F.A.R. (floor Area Ratio) may be exceeded for the lot size/zoning, impervious coverage is another matter. Also if side yards are only 3' wide that may be a fire issue (typically 5' has been the min. for single family.

1. Exceeds lot coverage
4. Lacks permit?
(anything else?)

The weird thing is that it HAS a permit. It seems like a favor was done for my neighbor and the city ran the clock despite my protests so that now they say I can't appeal.

It is two codes....Mechanical code and Electrical code. The mechanical code for the clearance I mentioned earlier and the electrical code for working space at the disconnect. These are minor issues but it might surprise the building dept. to hear you mention this.

First you must verify that there is an A/c compressor involved.

I will file another zoning violation for that and see what the response is. Thanks so much.

I will file another zoning violation for that and see what the response is. Thanks so much.
Those are not zoning code violations. For that matter I don’t know if there are violations at all.

I am merely an inspector and your issues are beyond my grasp.

Are those code issues?

I want to say maybe half or better of the items you have talked about, are building, mechanical, fire code related items.

Yes it sounds like there are zoning/ development issues.

To me a "CODE" item should be able to be reported at anytime. There should be no dead line. Like say a water heater not installed correctly.

exceeding maximum impervious coverage .
Since it is a raised deck, with gaps between the boards for drainage, and the ground cover is probably gravel or mulch ... thats not impervious cover, i don't think.

I want to say maybe half or better of the items you have talked about, are building, mechanical, fire code related items.

Yes it sounds like there are zoning/ development issues.

To me a "CODE" item should be able to be reported at anytime. There should be no dead line. Like say a water heater not installed correctly.

Would that include the AC under the deck?

Would that include the AC under the deck?

The AC under the deck, if it is there, would be subject to the mechanical and electrical codes that ICE mentioned in post #128.

The Zoning ORDINANCE is a document separate from the Building, Mechanical, Electrical, Fire CODES. Zoning Ordinances are specific to the municipality and it appears you have access to it (see your quote in post #121.)

I found a council member who is taking this seriously! This is the email he copied to the city ombudsman and a few others today:
It's only been a day since the ombudsman replied. Give a few weeks.

Is the deck finished yet? Any new photos?

67650936_10155852783717255_8462896168123236352_o.jpg