• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What happens if a city approves a deck that seems to violate fire codes

I still like this idea::::

You know normally if a neighbors tree hangs over into your property,,

You can trim it to your property line !!!

I am thinking I would get a pair of scissors out and start trimming the sail back to the property line.

Or paint his name on it along with a math problem!!!

Than post it on the internet

I still like this idea::::

You know normally if a neighbors tree hangs over into your property,,

You can trim it to your property line !!!

I am thinking I would get a pair of scissors out and start trimming the sail back to the property line.

Or paint his name on it along with a math problem!!!

Than post it on the internet

I'll try the legal way first - I can't fight City Hall if I'm in jail :)

67650936_10155852783717255_8462896168123236352_o.jpg

I'm a little confused here, but - are you standing on a deck in your back yard, complaining about a deck in the neighbors back yard?

Why? What is it about his deck that you don't like, and/or that is negatively affecting your property? And why can you have a deck and he can't?

If it's a setback issue - it appears from that pic that he's a couple feet off the fence, and your deck is what, 5 feet? Is that the issue? The setback from the house next door can't possibly be a problem for you since it's not your house, right?

I'm all for everyone following the rules, and they should be enforced the same way for everybody. But I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how this guy's deck is causing troubles for you, after noting that you're taking pictures of it from a deck attached to your (assumed) house that looks to be the same height off the ground and almost as close to the fence as his....

I'm a little confused here, but - are you standing on a deck in your back yard, complaining about a deck in the neighbors back yard?

Why? What is it about his deck that you don't like, and/or that is negatively affecting your property? And why can you have a deck and he can't?

If it's a setback issue - it appears from that pic that he's a couple feet off the fence, and your deck is what, 5 feet? Is that the issue? The setback from the house next door can't possibly be a problem for you since it's not your house, right?

I'm all for everyone following the rules, and they should be enforced the same way for everybody. But I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how this guy's deck is causing troubles for you, after noting that you're taking pictures of it from a deck attached to your (assumed) house that looks to be the same height off the ground and almost as close to the fence as his....

One was built to code and one was not??

67809734_10155835171387255_3733455117240762368_o.jpg

Do you know where I can find "If a building permit is issued with an erroneous approval from the planning dept. that permit is null and void."? My city are saying that because I didn't notice their mistake in time then I can't appeal. It's so frustrating.

Have you reviewed the language of the city charter with regards to the building and zoning codes? Date of inclusion of them, latest revision dates?

Ouch! an interesting point has been brought up by JC. Google your HOA and note how many have decks extend into the rear yards. How many extend further then allowed? Note that it appears that one beyond the one next to yours appears to have a cover over it extending even further then the one next to you?

Ouch! an interesting point has been brought up by JC. Google your HOA and note how many have decks extend into the rear yards. How many extend further then allowed? Note that it appears that one beyond the one next to yours appears to have a cover over it extending even further then the one next to you?

I agree however following the roof line of that rear most bldg. it appears its set back further than the original bldg. in question although it also seems to encroach on separation of bldgs. even more. this single picture really makes it tough to see what's truly going on. The OP seems to have an issue with the deck next to her however it seems she also has a deck as well which would lead me to believe the HOA and the municipality allows decks of some degree. I think we need more details before making an informed comment.

Just for kicks, ask the zoning board if the plans meet the ordinance. If they say yes, ask them how. If they say no, ask them for a copy of the zoning variance paperwork indicating the zoning board waived the requirements. I would assume there should have been an opportunity for the affected neighbors to voice their opinions / concerns. If you were supposed to be notified about a zoning variance, the issue could have been handled before the first scoop of dirt was moved.

Read up on the variance approval process in the zoning ordinance so you can be informed when presenting your argument and counter anything they say that may be contradictory to zoning ordinance policy.

Yes - I'm standing on my deck which is 6 feet away from the shared property line and does not extend more than 12 feet out. My deck was built as part of the original PUD because I have the wall of the end unit running along the other side of my deck. If you look closely you will see that his deck is actually only a few inches from the shared property and he was allowed to build all the way to the garage. No other homes in the community have been allowed that. His deck is 440+ square feet and the largest deck that has ever been allowed in the community is 120 square feet - and then only if your property was next to an end unit. He can definitely have a deck (I'm ok with that) although the original PUD does not allow for any further structures being built AND he has not been made to abide by the setback rules or the projection rules.

There is only one other deck that is in the HOA that is of this magnitude and it is un-permitted and was never approved by the HOA. It belongs to one of the board members and I didn't find out about it until I got into this deck debacle. It is in a different building in the community. The developer of the PUD wrote a letter to the city saying that the only decks that were permitted in the original PUD were the ones next to the end units as the light is already limited in those and it does not affect any neighbor's views. The permitted decks are MUCH smaller and are a minimum of 8 feet from the fence line.