• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Door operator button question

CAR

A Milwaukee client currently has these buttons on their elevator lobby going into their suite. They are asking us if they could replace this button a blank button (not engraved) and reword the nearby signage to say 'push for emergency', instead of 'push to exit'. I can't find on the requirements online if the button itself needs to be labeled or engraved or if it can be blank with adjacent signage. Has anyone come across this before? Thank you.

Attachments

• ADA Button.png
    ADA Button.png
    84.7 KB · Views: 3
So what happens when you push the button???

door opens

mag lock releases

other

Does the elevator lobby have the one required exit, available to anyone???

So you step out of the elevator cab, into the elevator lobby, and you have to push this button to enter their suite? If thats correct, then the button has no impact on exiting the building ... right?

So you step out of the elevator cab, into the elevator lobby, and you have to push this button to enter their suite? If thats correct, then the button has no impact on exiting the building ... right?

That's my interpretation. Pasting her question below:

"We are considering updating the face plates on these push to exit buttons. They allow people to enter our suites without swiping their access card. The plan is to install a blank face plate and reword the nearby signage to say push for emergency, instead of push to exit. Do you know if this button must have specific verbiage required by code?"

Hum

seems like a little confusing

not sure why “push for emergency”???

But once again, step off elevator, does everyone have unrestricted access to at least one exit???

or is this button needed to get to the one exit??

OK, so I'm not the only one confused. I'll have to clarify with her. Because the way I see it, there shouldn't be an egress issue going in. But why would you push for emergency going against egress. I re read it and something doesn't make sense. I'll clarify once I know more. Thank you all for the quick replies.

Is there an exit available to the elevator lobby without going into the tenant space?
That’s my current thought, after having slept on it. I bet there are compliant stairs, but they are not accessible from the lobby ... you have to enter the suite to use them.

That’s my current thought, after having slept on it. I bet there are compliant stairs, but they are not accessible from the lobby ... you have to enter the suite to use them.
That is the only time I see this type of button used. Essentially the tenant space is not secure as it needs to be available for exiting from the elevator lobby.

OK, I see now how their existing is a little different than usual because they have to go into their suite to access stairs (image below). As mentioned before this is an existing condition. Looking online I see they make 'blank' buttons. But I still can't find anything specific about the button having to be engraved or if an adjacent sign is acceptable.

I can always ask the City to see how they interpret this. They may have an interpretation or just refer me back to ADA, as it is a Civil Rights law and not a code per-se. They have been pretty good I the past, about providing clear direction.

Hum

so the city approved exiting that does not meet code

Seems like there should be a big sign

“””Push button to access exit stair”””””

I would not approve a blank or change any wording, that indicates if you want to exit do this.

This is not an ada issue,,

Plus you should tell the business they may be liable if someone gets hurt, because a person cannot get to an exit.

This is an exiting issue and not an ADA issue. The requirements for this type of exiting are very specific.

Ah, found it. Thank you everyone for your help!

Attachments

• ibc 2015 eXIT.PNG
    ibc 2015 eXIT.PNG
    90.7 KB · Views: 8
Ah, found it. Thank you everyone for your help!

Yes and no

It would be yes if in a code complying exit system.

But, not sure if I would touch this, and not sure how this got approved along time ago.

With out a plan view not sure, but is it possible to create a hallway to the Exit and add a door to the tenant space that has the card reader to that space?

It is not that unusual of an exiting situation and the CBC is very specific about how to achieve. Typically you can never get a tenant to agree to essentially having their suite be unsecured at all times. Anyone can push the button and have access directly into and thru the tenant space at any time.