• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Egress Swing Direction

Mostafa Magdy

Hello, that's my first thread here and I'm sure it will not be the last one we have a new project that we are working on, it's an academic building located in Alamin Egypt, we have almost all rooms occupant load exceeds 50 which require more than egress door in the room, in addition, making the door swing direction outside the room but making swing direction outside makes the overall plan looks weird any suggestion, ideas or exception for swing direction.

PS. I don't know how to upload an image here kindly advise.

Hello, that's my first thread here and I'm sure it will not be the last one we have a new project that we are working on, it's an academic building located in Alamin Egypt, we have almost all rooms occupant load exceeds 50 which require more than egress door in the room, in addition, making the door swing direction outside the room but making swing direction outside makes the overall plan looks weird any suggestion, ideas or exception for swing direction.

Welcome. You can put the photo on a free service and post the link.

I've uploaded it here https://ibb.co/SymnRs0
Thank you jar

Capture.png

Last edited by a moderator:
II

Why does it make it look weird?

What building code and year are you using?

What grade level is this school?

Cannot always have pretty

It looks weird if the swing direction was outside because we have plenty of doors due to occupant load.
The building is an Academic For Hospitality Management.
I'm using IBC 2015

1010.1.2.1 Direction of swing. Pivot or side-hinged
swinging doors shall swing in the direction of egress
travel where serving a room or area containing an occupant
load of 50 or more persons or a Group H occupancy.

No exceptions!

I've seen a lot of school classrooms with the door set back into the room with the door swing into the corridor or hallway. The door is allowed to swing into the corridor depending on the width of the corridor.

IBC2012 section 1008.1.1.1 projections into the clear width shall not exceed more than 4-inches. Most likely due to a blind persons cane detection.

Added: I've seen were the wall is inset and the door swings back into the wall when opened, taking space from the classroom, this keeps the door from projecting into the corridor.

Hardware on a door like a closer would be permitted into the corridor not to exceed 4-inches.

It looks weird if the swing direction was outside because we have plenty of doors due to occupant load.
The building is an Academic For Hospitality Management.
I'm using IBC 2015

What is the Square footage of the room??

What factor are you using for occupant load?

So adult education?

Added: I've seen were the wall is inset and the door swings back into the wall when opened, taking space from the classroom, this keeps the door from projecting into the corridor.

Hardware on a door like a closer would be permitted into the corridor not to exceed 4-inches.
I've seen this also and I'm considering it.

What is the Square footage of the room??

What factor are you using for occupant load?

So adult education?
I use multiple codes to calculate occupant load as it must comply with the Egyptian code, as I said, occupant load exceeds 50 in almost all spaces which require 2 doors swinging out

Ok, so I am unsure of your question? You know the code requires the doors to swing in the direction of egress so swing them in the proper direction.

Check classroom occupant load, 49 comes to mind for one exit access for an E-occupancy. Check your egress travel, may need additional class room exiting door? See section 1015.

Check classroom occupant load, 49 comes to mind for one exit access for an E-occupancy. Check your egress travel, may need additional class room exiting door? See section 1015.
he actually states that.............it must comply with the Egyptian code, as I said, occupant load exceeds 50 in almost all spaces which require 2 doors swinging out.............So I really am not sure why the question?

Pcinspector1 has it. Recess, create an alcove, what ever you want to call it. General about 3.5ft to allow for a clear corridor.

Mostafa, welcome. Another potential alternative to creating a door alcove is to simply limit the maximum occupant load of the classroom to 49 or less. You would need sings posted in each room stating this, so that someone doesn't come back later and allow more than 49 occupants. See IBC 1004.1.2 (exception) which states:

Exception: Where approved by the building official, the actual number of occupants for whom each occupied
space, floor or building is designed, although less than those determined by calculation, shall be permitted to be used in the determination of the design occupant load.​

You can swing them out, but watch for this...

1005.7.1 Doors. Doors, when fully opened, shall not reduce the required width by more than 7 inches (178 mm). Doors in any position shall not reduce the required
width by more than one-half.