• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NYC CRACK DOWN

Ch. 33 of the IBC is the extent of my enforcement capabilities. If you're doing something really dumb while I'm there I'll probably tell you it's dumb, but I'm not going to write it down on an inspection report. If it's dumb enough someone is going to die if you continue to do it, then I'm happy enough to call in the State guys and let them have you.

Ch. 33 of the IBC is the extent of my enforcement capabilities. If you're doing something really dumb while I'm there I'll probably tell you it's dumb, but I'm not going to write it down on an inspection report. If it's dumb enough someone is going to die if you continue to do it, then I'm happy enough to call in the State guys and let them have you.
You do not need to document it, but if you see something that will prevent and injury or death, Something called morals kick in and you should tell the Forman or Contractor. You do not need to report them to OSHA, but you need to live with it.

You do not need to document it, but if you see something that will prevent and injury or death, Something called morals kick in and you should tell the Forman or Contractor. You do not need to report them to OSHA, but you need to live with it.

Right. That's why I said I'm happy to call the State osha guys if there's something on the job that's gonna' kill somebody. I deal with foreman and/or pm's when I'm doing inspections, so that's who I'm telling "that's stupid" if I see something that is.

I wasn't arguing...

How can you tell? They could be using stolen tools too. Or not paying their taxes. Not a safety issue.

Guess you don't know, maybe that's why OSHA requires it's inspectors to present certificates at all OSHA inspections.

If you guys are running out of work and looking for more how about taking over Special Inspector duties instead of OSHA?

I don't enforce workplace health and safety regulations, but I definitely do by proxy.

If I see what I feel is an unsafe construction site, I fail the inspection. It's failed, not because you didn't follow the applicable laws, but because I cannot enter your site to complete the inspection. You need my approval to proceed to the next phase of construction, so in order to get that approval, you are going to make your site safe.

Also, if I have gotten to the point where I am refusing to go on site, you can bet I am calling our workplace health and safety inspector.

Safety is everyone's responsibility. I cannot in good conscience turn a blind eye to obvious safety violations. If you see something and do nothing, you bear partial responsibility for the injury or death. This has been clearly established in our legislation and upheld by courts.

I don't enforce workplace health and safety regulations, but I definitely do by proxy.

If I see what I feel is an unsafe construction site, I fail the inspection. It's failed, not because you didn't follow the applicable laws, but because I cannot enter your site to complete the inspection. You need my approval to proceed to the next phase of construction, so in order to get that approval, you are going to make your site safe.

Also, if I have gotten to the point where I am refusing to go on site, you can bet I am calling our workplace health and safety inspector.

Safety is everyone's responsibility. I cannot in good conscience turn a blind eye to obvious safety violations. If you see something and do nothing, you bear partial responsibility for the injury or death. This has been clearly established in our legislation and upheld by courts.
You sure like to tell other people what to do.

Not in agreement with surprise inspections, IMO at that point it’s intent is to seek violations at all costs creating a Police State!

If a site has a legitimate written and signed complaint or while the building inspector or other official is onsite and observed what he/she believes to be a safety issue and fills out a complaint form then the safety inspection should occur.

Not in agreement with surprise inspections, IMO at that point it’s intent is to seek violations at all costs creating a Police State!

If a site has a legitimate written and signed complaint or while the building inspector or other official is onsite and observed what he/she believes to be a safety issue and fills out a complaint form then the safety inspection should occur.
So there should not "roving" Police patrols in your neighborhood, or the use of radar on highways?

Ok... hang on. Are you familiar with what a 'police state' is?

po·lice state
/pəˈlēs ˈstāt/
noun
a totalitarian state controlled by a political police force that secretly supervises the citizens' activities.

Key words therein are 'totalitarian', 'political', and 'secretly'. Law enforcement officers do not secretly perform radar speed checks (we all know they are out there); similarly, contractors know that inspectors look for code violations.

Building officials and inspectors are granted authority through police doctrine and are governed by the same principles. Principles such as probable cause, plain view doctrine, legal search and seizure, etc. This is why all inspectors should have to take the legal module for the CBO exams.

I do agree that surprise inspections are malicious and will create a toxic working relationship; I however disagree that it creates a police state. If their is probable cause, be friendly and get invited onto the site (not that hard) or get a search warrant (via a judge).

So there should not "roving" Police patrols in your neighborhood, or the use of radar on highways?
These are not roving patrols, they are individuals tasked with finding violations.
Roving patrols for the most part make a presence and do not have an identified objective.

Radar use on highways, as a matter of fact no I prefer to live without them as that isn’t exactly as I described above, individual sections tasked with finding violations.

SO it’s safe to assume you never go above the posted speed limit. If you do as I suspect the vast majority does then have you considered turning yourself in for speeding OR how about speed detecting monitor in which you’re vehicle self reports your excessive speed for the appropriate ticket and associated license points. I feel you haven’t turned yourself in for speeding then why, are you above the law?

Ok... hang on. Are you familiar with what a 'police state' is?

po·lice state
/pəˈlēs ˈstāt/
noun
a totalitarian state controlled by a political police force that secretly supervises the citizens' activities.

Key words therein are 'totalitarian', 'political', and 'secretly'. Law enforcement officers do not secretly perform radar speed checks (we all know they are out there); similarly, contractors know that inspectors look for code violations.

Building officials and inspectors are granted authority through police doctrine and are governed by the same principles. Principles such as probable cause, plain view doctrine, legal search and seizure, etc. This is why all inspectors should have to take the legal module for the CBO exams.

I do agree that surprise inspections are malicious and will create a toxic working relationship; I however disagree that it creates a police state. If their is probable cause, be friendly and get invited onto the site (not that hard) or get a search warrant (via a judge).
I could and should consider a different descriptive fact however if any one of us think that this at some point would not be used in a malicious manner then the real misstatement and joke for that matter is on them.

These are not roving patrols, they are individuals tasked with finding violations.
Roving patrols for the most part make a presence and do not have an identified objective.

Radar use on highways, as a matter of fact no I prefer to live without them as that isn’t exactly as I described above, individual sections tasked with finding violations.

SO it’s safe to assume you never go above the posted speed limit. If you do as I suspect the vast majority does then have you considered turning yourself in for speeding OR how about speed detecting monitor in which you’re vehicle self reports your excessive speed for the appropriate ticket and associated license points. I feel you haven’t turned yourself in for speeding then why, are you above the law?
So with that live of thought "don't violate OSHA or the Building Codes" ...."as a matter of fact"... Just Saying....

What should be the punishment for a civil servant exceeding his authority? The building code is tyranny, nobody gets to vote for it other than civil servants, the creation of the ICC took freedom out of the codes and created a monster that is doing nothing but rubber stamping a tyrannical government's policies (just look at Energy and Green codes). Did any of the criminals here ever get punished for the fire sprinkler frauds?

What should be the punishment for a civil servant exceeding his authority? The building code is tyranny, nobody gets to vote for it other than civil servants, the creation of the ICC took freedom out of the codes and created a monster that is doing nothing but rubber stamping a tyrannical government's policies (just look at Energy and Green codes). Did any of the criminals here ever get punished for the fire sprinkler frauds?
I guess the same punishment that anyone should endure if an elected official takes something they write and sign it into law. I mean, very few people have everyone vote on everything they write.

These are not roving patrols, they are individuals tasked with facilitating compliance.

Fixed it.....I'm OK without cops same as other people are OK without the benefit of permits and inspections....

...very few people have everyone vote on everything they write.
We, including Canada, live in a representative government.

Republic: "A state in which supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives..."
Democracy: "A system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives."

By signing to paper work for the permit, they give us the permission to enter and inspect anytime during regular operating hours. So I can stop and check in anytime. Our state law allows for us to abate any unsafe or life safety issues. I don't enforce OSHA but could call if you prefer over just fixing it and make it safe. Or if bad enough could just red tag the job until it is corrected. Only had to go to that extreme once. Some people are just hard headed.