• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Plan Review Using Bluebeam with Studio Sessions

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Advanced Code Group is now offering electronic plan review services for electrical. Please email plans@ACGcodes.com for more information. If you are not familiar with Bluebeam and its Studio session ability, you really are missing a lot.
I will personally be the plans examiner for electrical. I am certified through the ICC as a Commercial Plans Examiner, Commercial and Residential Inspector and licensed in Florida for electrical plan review and inspections. As an experienced multi-discipline plans examiner and inspector with 23 ICC certifications I know it is important to stick to your core discipline if you want to perform a competent, thorough plan review. With over 30 years of trade, inspection and plan review experience, you can have the confidence your plan review will be both thorough and professional.

Last edited:
I will look forward to hearing how you do with this, we are just now testing for launch, use of Bluebeam for electronic review in house. I am wondering how third party review works, after we review and send back out to parties not licensed for full blown Bluebeam reviews.

I will look forward to hearing how you do with this, we are just now testing for launch, use of Bluebeam for electronic review in house. I am wondering how third party review works, after we review and send back out to parties not licensed for full blown Bluebeam reviews.

We currently use BB in conjunction with another software program that tracks plan review, IDT Plans. The combination of the 2 works great together. This venture with BB is on my own using BB with Studio but I don't think every project will need a Studio session. The markups list and ability to print to PDF is the biggest part of this review that I see as a major bonus. Tracking the markups with who made the markups is a powerful tool in itself. I like that you can customize a template to put the markups on your own letterhead and that the markups show the actual markups as shown on the blueprints.

For some municipalities I can just be given a login user ID and do the plan review remotely on whatever system they use. This helps keep the inspectors out in the field and reduce plan review times, therefore improving compliance and complaints about turn around times. I also noticed that sometimes plans examiners get into a groove with the same comments over and over and lose site of some other issues. A fresh, objective set of eyes often brings other things to light that were not previously seen.

We currently use BB in conjunction with another software program that tracks plan review, IDT Plans. The combination of the 2 works great together. This venture with BB is on my own using BB with Studio but I don't think every project will need a Studio session. The markups list and ability to print to PDF is the biggest part of this review that I see as a major bonus. Tracking the markups with who made the markups is a powerful tool in itself. I like that you can customize a template to put the markups on your own letterhead and that the markups show the actual markups as shown on the blueprints.

For some municipalities I can just be given a login user ID and do the plan review remotely on whatever system they use. This helps keep the inspectors out in the field and reduce plan review times, therefore improving compliance and complaints about turn around times. I also noticed that sometimes plans examiners get into a groove with the same comments over and over and lose site of some other issues. A fresh, objective set of eyes often brings other things to light that were not previously seen.

BB studio is an awesome review tool, but goes way beyond that, especially for multiple and/or concurrent reviews. Studio sessions allows multiple reviewers at the same time, which could include the applicant, though I have never used it that way. Studio projects only permits one reviewer to work on the plans at a time, though others can view it. The projects side has more tools that I use, where sessions is more limited. Unfortunately my current place of employment is miles from (if ever) utilizing these capabilities. I have found that in most cases the projects mode is all that is needed and offers more tools. I think either projects or sessions would allow document portability without email, flashdrives or physical hand-offs, but I haven't explored that use much.

I am considering setting myself up for the same type of private thing JAR, but I am still in the "just thinking about it" phase. I will be very interested in how it works for you.

You can get a free 30 day BlueBeam Revu use with each e-mail you sign up under. It was a good way to review the product and watch all the tutorials they have without committing any funds.
We started using it about 4 years ago and public works came on board with it the following year. They use the studio sessions and love it. We do not use the studio session

I am already committed financially after the 30 day trial. Very happy so far. I just need more accounts to get more experience using the studio portion. I have been using it in conjunction with IDT Plans for the past year. Works well together.

It’s great for large projects where revisions seem to occur daily/weekly. The abilities to communicate with all affected parties where systems interface or will affect other disciplines is worth it alone. Now the sprinkler contractors and other trades can’t point fingers at each other during commissioning inspection(s). Great tool!!!

When I’m done with winters up north and decide to go back to FL as a snow bird for a few months, I may want to do some more private fire protection work to pay for my Snook fishing addiction

So not electronic yet

But a question came up the other day.

1. Plan review done electronically between the ahj and architect.

2. Plans are approved

3. What does the contractor get??? A thumbdrive of the approved plans??

4. How does the inspector in the field view them??? Especially a third party hire??

So not electronic yet

But a question came up the other day.

1. Plan review done electronically between the ahj and architect.

2. Plans are approved

3. What does the contractor get??? A thumbdrive of the approved plans??

4. How does the inspector in the field view them??? Especially a third party hire??

For us, this is what we do....
  1. Plans are either emailed in or if too large, a link is sent from DropBox or similar file hosting site.
  2. Approved/Rejected
  3. Red-lines or approved plans are sent back via email (see #1)
  4. Contractor is required to print and provide plans on site; inspector is also to view pdf at office saved to network drive

For us, this is what we do....
  1. Plans are either emailed in or if too large, a link is sent from DropBox or similar file hosting site.
  2. Approved/Rejected
  3. Red-lines or approved plans are sent back via email (see #1)
  4. Contractor is required to print and provide plans on site; inspector is also to view pdf at office saved to network drive

To add to this. The plans can be batch stamped in Bluebeam by the municipality and the contractor can then print them and keep a set on site. This eliminates them coming into the building department to drop off printed plans just to be stamped.

Thanks

Interesting,,,

Save half the tree

Future::
Maybe if plans are submitted electronically,,,, require the job site to have a tablet for the inspector.

Thanks

Interesting,,,

Save half the tree

Maybe if plans are submitted electronically,,,, require the job site to have a tablet for the inspector.

I've been on jobsites like that where they hand me a nice size tablet with a shoulder strap so I can wear it while inspecting and go through the plans.

For us, the only problem is the permit card for the jobsite. Ours is an odd size and we don't want people printing them on regular paper because they will get ruined and for security purposes.

Thanks

Interesting,,,

Save half the tree

Our goal here is to transition inspectors to having their own tablets with their jobs pre-loaded on them each morning.... not quite there yet, but one day.

And really, you save more than just one printing. We require anywhere from 2-6 sets of plans at each submittal. Go through two or three reviews on a decently sized project, that is a lot of printing costs that can be saved.

We supply i-pads for the inspector in the field the plans are attached to the permit and can be accessed in the field. If the sub say foundation guy does not have the approved plans on site the inspector can email them to him right then and he has them on his phone. We do not use a job site card we email inspection results to the sub and the general.

We supply i-pads for the inspector in the field the plans are attached to the permit and can be accessed in the field. If the sub say foundation guy does not have the approved plans on site the inspector can email them to him right then and he has them on his phone. We do not use a job site card we email inspection results to the sub and the general.

I like the email idea. If the contractor creates an account, they get automatic notification of permit status and inspection results.

"We supply i-pads for the inspector in the field".....

We were issued iPads about a year ago. My wife took mine...and gave it back when she scored one at a company Christmas party. She could have had a 65" TV. Sometimes I wonder.....

It was supposed to be this month that the iPads would play a major role. I use my personal iPad. The AHJ iPad is supposed to be able to communicate with the office computer. We were supposed to enter corrections on the iPad and email them to the contractor. A computer program or something similar is the brains behind it all. I am expecting AI to replace people like me altogether.

Last edited:
BB studio is an awesome review tool, but goes way beyond that, especially for multiple and/or concurrent reviews. Studio sessions allows multiple reviewers at the same time, which could include the applicant, though I have never used it that way. Studio projects only permits one reviewer to work on the plans at a time, though others can view it. The projects side has more tools that I use, where sessions is more limited. Unfortunately my current place of employment is miles from (if ever) utilizing these capabilities. I have found that in most cases the projects mode is all that is needed and offers more tools. I think either projects or sessions would allow document portability without email, flashdrives or physical hand-offs, but I haven't explored that use much.

I am considering setting myself up for the same type of private thing JAR, but I am still in the "just thinking about it" phase. I will be very interested in how it works for you.
dragged into it kicking and screaming! Takes some adjusting too but it comes with time and patience. As with the virus, it is now here and isn't going away.
You will need multiple large screens, laptops are too small.

I am calling out again to those that have the ability to upload PDF documents for plan review of the electrical discipline. Contact me direct for rates. Fast turn around time, thorough and professional plan review services available. See the original post for information on qualifications and experience.

Sorry JAR, but in WA, the State maintains jurisdiction..... which is a joke, because they do not require drawings for residential construction.