1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Plan Review Using Bluebeam with Studio Sessions

Discussion in 'Plan Review Topics' started by jar546, Jan 29, 2020.

1. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

Advanced Code Group is now offering electronic plan review services for electrical. Please email plans@ACGcodes.com for more information. If you are not familiar with Bluebeam and its Studio session ability, you really are missing a lot.

fatboy likes this.
  2. fatboy

fatboy Administrator

I will look forward to hearing how you do with this, we are just now testing for launch, use of Bluebeam for electronic review in house. I am wondering how third party review works, after we review and send back out to parties not licensed for full blown Bluebeam reviews.

3. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

We currently use BB in conjunction with another software program that tracks plan review, IDT Plans. The combination of the 2 works great together. This venture with BB is on my own using BB with Studio but I don't think every project will need a Studio session. The markups list and ability to print to PDF is the biggest part of this review that I see as a major bonus. Tracking the markups with who made the markups is a powerful tool in itself. I like that you can customize a template to put the markups on your own letterhead and that the markups show the actual markups as shown on the blueprints.

For some municipalities I can just be given a login user ID and do the plan review remotely on whatever system they use. This helps keep the inspectors out in the field and reduce plan review times, therefore improving compliance and complaints about turn around times. I also noticed that sometimes plans examiners get into a groove with the same comments over and over and lose site of some other issues. A fresh, objective set of eyes often brings other things to light that were not previously seen.

fatboy likes this.
  4. Sifu

Sifu Gold Member

BB studio is an awesome review tool, but goes way beyond that, especially for multiple and/or concurrent reviews. Studio sessions allows multiple reviewers at the same time, which could include the applicant, though I have never used it that way. Studio projects only permits one reviewer to work on the plans at a time, though others can view it. The projects side has more tools that I use, where sessions is more limited. Unfortunately my current place of employment is miles from (if ever) utilizing these capabilities. I have found that in most cases the projects mode is all that is needed and offers more tools. I think either projects or sessions would allow document portability without email, flashdrives or physical hand-offs, but I haven't explored that use much.

I am considering setting myself up for the same type of private thing JAR, but I am still in the "just thinking about it" phase. I will be very interested in how it works for you.

jar546 likes this.
  5. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Registered User

You can get a free 30 day BlueBeam Revu use with each e-mail you sign up under. It was a good way to review the product and watch all the tutorials they have without committing any funds.
    We started using it about 4 years ago and public works came on board with it the following year. They use the studio sessions and love it. We do not use the studio session

jar546 likes this.
  6. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

I am already committed financially after the 30 day trial. Very happy so far. I just need more accounts to get more experience using the studio portion. I have been using it in conjunction with IDT Plans for the past year. Works well together.

7. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

A brief overview of Bluebeam 2019. The markups list is the best part