• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Should Fuel Gas Codes be under Plumbing or Mechanical

Plumbing.

And I run into issues when CSST has to be bonded, might want it in the electrical:eek:, just kidding.

It should be a stand alone code just as it is now.
Historically it has been the plumbers that where trained to installed gas lines. Today even FL requires mechanical contractors to know the fuel gas code as part of their exam.

FWIW

We license mechanical contractors, and the fuel gas code is a sizable part of our test.

I’ve always known fuel gas through BOCA to be a Plumbers responsibility however times have changed. Fuel gas is applicable to Plumbing, Mechanical and Electrical so I’d say whomever has a fuel gas question ask it in the applicable code category of the Plumbing or Mechanical or Electrical. No single category is suitable for all the fuel gas questions unless it is its own category.

Just a friendly suggestion, the Sewage category can be part of Plumbing, they are in my opinion one in the same and folks will know to go to Plumbing for a sewage question. And no questions have been asked since 2018.

It's part of our mechanical code in Oregon. But on this board, why not have it as a stand-alone category?

In SW Washington, and Oregon, most of the residential mechanical contractors I deal with do the gas piping, not the plumbers. On large commercial jobs, we often see pipe fitters or plumbers doing the gas piping.

It should be a stand alone code just as it is now.
Historically it has been the plumbers that where trained to installed gas lines. Today even FL requires mechanical contractors to know the fuel gas code as part of their exam.

After 10 years or so of ONLY accepting our local test, about five years ago when we started accepting the ICC Master Mechanical, AND the ICC Master Gas Pipe Fitter, we had more contractors opting to go with ICC's test. Ours was not a trick test, the answers were word for word, until they had to start calculating. I obviously I am comfortable either way.

After 10 years or so of ONLY accepting our local test, about five years ago when we started accepting the ICC Master Mechanical, AND the ICC Master Gas Pipe Fitter, we had more contractors opting to go with ICC's test. Ours was not a trick test, the answers were word for word, until they had to start calculating. I obviously I am comfortable either way.

And I guess I agree with you.

In NM it is a separate classification per the state law as is LP gas. So plumbers or mechanical can be classified. we have to check licenses when they pull permits.

Here what our state has:
B. License classifications. Residential and commercial.

(1) MM-1. Plumbing. Requires four years experience. Install, alter, repair and service plumbing fixtures, and piping, including pneumatic or electric controls and control wiring not greater than 24 volts, concrete supports, and excavating, trenching and backfilling. Includes hot water heating systems not exceeding 30 p.s.i. or 400,00 b.t.u./hour input; piping for fuel, oil and gasoline and for solar energy systems; septic tanks, manholes and sewer lines; irrigation sprinkler systems; swimming pools and spas. Does not include installation of natural gas fired appliances or natural gas piping.

(2) MM-2 Natural gas fitting. Requires four years experience. Install, alter, repair and service natural gas piping and fittings and incidental controls and control wiring, pneumatic control systems, excavating, trenching and backfilling. Includes installation of hot water systems exceeding 30 p.s.i. or 400,000 b.t.u./hour input; steam and hot water boilers; and warm air heating systems such as chimney connections, flues, refractories, burners, fittings valves, thermal insulation, accessories and incidental piping; warm air appliances and other listed gas appliances. May not install LP Gas systems.

(3) MM-3 Heating, ventilation & air conditioning (HVAC). Requires four years experience. Install, alter, repair and service HVAC air handling and refrigeration equipment and piping, including fans, coils, condensing units, self-contained packaged air conditioning or heating units, evaporative cooling units, solar energy systems, ductwork and pneumatic tube systems. May connect water to existing valved outlets, and install controls, and control wiring not to exceed 24 volts. May bid and contract for structural alterations, painting, electrical wiring and other work incidental to this scope of work, provided such work is performed by a properly licensed contractor.

(4) MM-4 Heating, cooling and process piping. Requires four years experience. Install, alter, repair and service hydronic heating, cooling and process piping for steam hot water systems of any temperature pressure range, chilled water systems, condensing water systems and process piping systems. Includes pressure vessels, heat exchangers, boilers, refrigeration water chillers, cooling towers, fuel oil tanks and fuel oil piping, and pneumatic or electric controls and control wiring not to exceed 24 volts. Install high pressure and process piping solar energy systems of any temperature or any pressure conveying gas or fluids other than potable water, and pneumatic tube systems.

(5) MM-98 Mechanical. Requires four years experience. Requires licensure in classifications MM-1 through MM-4 and covers all work described in these classifications, as well as work described in the MS-3, MS-6, MS-12 and MS-14.

I vote for leave it stand alone...Here its primarily plumbers that run the gas line but almost everything else in the fuel gas code is done by mechanical contractors....forced air furnaces and any other HVAC gas fired appliances and their venting, combustion air ducts, etc. remember that gas furnaces are covered by the Fuel gas code, not the mechanical code.

I vote for leave it stand alone...Here its primarily plumbers that run the gas line but almost everything else in the fuel gas code is done by mechanical contractors....forced air furnaces and any other HVAC gas fired appliances and their venting, combustion air ducts, etc. remember that gas furnaces are covered by the Fuel gas code, not the mechanical code.

And so it is.

FWIW, I am filling out my ICC application to stay on the IFGC Committee for the 4th time, the 2021 code adoption cycle.