• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Combustible vs Non-Combustible material

Rookie Troll

I have a commercial range that I am installing in my kitchen.
The manufacturer requires clearances of 6" from combustible & 0" from non-combustible.
The adjacent cabinets are wood (combustible) but I want to face that with 1/2" Hardie Board (concrete) which I believe will make the the cabinet ends non-combustible.
Will this comply with code? Will this make the side of the cabinet non-combustible?
I don't want any surprises when the inspector comes and I can't find anything in IBC or ASTM.

Welcome,

I would say yes, and the inspector will more than likely not check,,,,

But you live there and should be safe.

How do you address where the cabinet returns that are within the 6" dimension from the range. This would be unprotected and I would expect the non combustibles construction would need to extend to a point 6" beyond. Does this commercial range have a pilot light?

How do you address where the cabinet returns that are within the 6" dimension from the range. This would be unprotected and I would expect the non combustibles construction would need to extend to a point 6" beyond. Does this commercial range have a pilot light?

The residential I installed only showed clearance to the sides/ cabinets

Are you installing a commercial unit in a residential dwelling, if that is the intention it is prohibited by code?

It only looks like a commercial stove.

There are cooking appliances on the market that have size and features of commercial appliances, but they are listed for residential installation.

Any inspector turn down a specific stove in a house??

Last edited:
The manufacturer requires clearances of 6" from combustible & 0" from non-combustible.
The adjacent cabinets are wood (combustible) but I want to face that with 1/2" Hardie Board (concrete) which I believe will make the the cabinet ends non-combustible.
Will this comply with code? Will this make the side of the cabinet non-combustible?
I don't want any surprises when the inspector comes and I can't find anything in IBC or ASTM.

Will this comply with code? NO
Florida Mechanical Code 2017
917.2 Domestic appliances
Cooking appliances installed within dwelling units and within areas where domestic cooking operations occur shall be listed and labeled as household -type appliances for domestic use.

Not Commercial

Covering something with something else only makes the first thing covered.....It does not make it something it is not....And what the other folks posted for code sections...

Covering something with something else only makes the first thing covered.....It does not make it something it is not....And what the other folks posted for code sections...

Can you please restate the question/answer

cda, I think steveray is saying: Your putting lipstick on a pig.
Pig-300x293.png

If you are required clearance to combustible surface or zero to noncombustible

You can’t put a noncombustible material over say wood, that will not transmit heat to the combustible material ??

And meet code?

If you could put in a commercial cooktop, you would need a commercial hood with an ANSUL fire suppression system per commercial cooktop listings.

It only looks like a commercial stove.

There are cooking appliances on the market that have size and features of commercial appliances, but they are listed for residential installation.

Any inspector turn down a specific stove in a house??

The reason I made my comment was based off not the appearance of the stove, JENNAIR makes commercial appearing ranges, but rather the OP’s initial statement of “I have a commercial range......”.

Reactions: cda
Concrete board is a great heat transmitter. So yes it will transmit heat to the combustible cabinets.
You are correct Mike
HardieBacker Cement Board is deemed noncombustible when tested to ASTM E 136. Even though it will not ignite when exposed to heat, the heat will transfer readily through it and the substrate could ignite with a strong heat source..

Other cementious products are the same.

Question: does the manufacturer require 6" clearance from combustible *surfaces* or combustible *material?* I think this is what others have suggested.

I'm a Canuck, so my Codes ain't your Codes.